Do I get charged for YouTube?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Railcat88, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Railcat88 macrumors newbie

I just got my iphone a few days ago. I've been surfing a few websites, and So I log onto www.youtube.com

and then it tells me that I should apply for unlimited data plan so that I won't get charged for crazy billing.

But I thought that using the internet was FREE domestically?????

2. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Putting your location in your profile may help for starters..

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why arent you using the youtube app on the phone????

afaik, youtube.com wont work as the iphone doesnt support flash

4. Railcat88 thread starter macrumors newbie

because I wanted to access my youtube account. But the mere fact that it asked me that made me worry about hidden charges.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

It's probably more for those people without unlimited data. I am sure that the US and UK get unlimited data, not sure about others.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Was it a warning on the YouTube website?

My guess it was, and that it is just a warning for anyone using a mobile browser to access YouTube to prevent them from having people come back and claim that they got charged so much for watching a small video clip that ate their limited bandwidth quickly.

I'd guess that almost every mobile browser would see the same warning, and that if you tried it over WiFi, or even with an iPod Touch you'd probably see the same warning.

Basically a CYA move from YouTube.

7. off in the wood macrumors regular

youtube does work on iphone and iphone 3g fyi. Also, another "video" based website does too. It is funnyordie.com, works just fine on my 3g iphone.

Anyway there was a thread here somewhere on how that it was possible to watch these flash based videos on your iphone and one of the webmasters for the site explained they had setup the site so that it converts or changes the video player to whatever the viewer has enabled on whatever they are using to watch the videos (computer, phone, etc)

to the op, you will get charged for streaming any kind of data with your device. That being said however, you have to get unlimited data with the 3g iphone.

I've read some stories where people had called in to cancel unlimited data, but it was later put back on by at&e.

I could be wrong about the last part though.