Do I get new iLife apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Oct 22, 2013.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I bought an iMac in Dec 12, the new thin type. I'm a little confused on the announcements. Do I get free updates to the new iLife apps?

Or would I have to now buy each one? I've bought a 5s and get the iLife and iWork free on iOS but unsure on my iMac.

Thanks

2. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Yes, you should get it for free.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I just installed the iPhoto and iMovie updates on my 2012 MBP, that I bought in July 2012. I needed 10.9 before I could get the new version.

4. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Great stuff so you need Mavericks first though. That's fine I'll update the OS first. It was just confusing the way they mentioned it "free with a new Mac" but it's free anyway...?... Confused.

How's the new iPhoto look then? Any major changes on Mac version I mean?

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I haven't dived too deep into it yet (not that I had with the previous one) but the one glaring bug, for me, that I was hoping would be fixed hasn't. I have a Canon EOS-M with the EF-M 18-55 lens (came as a kit), when I import pictures taken with this combination using iPhoto the lens is detected as the 22mm lens that is also available for this camera. This happens to EVERYONE with this camera/lens combo. If I use one of my dad's EF-S lenses (using an adapter) I see the correct lens. This has been an issue in iPhoto and Aperture since the camera was released, and has been posted about on the Apple discussion forums but nothing has been done.

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've got a mid 2012 MBP.

I upgraded from ML to Mavericks this morning and then, when I went into the Mac App Store, there were updates for iPhoto & iMovie waiting for me.

I grabbed them and I now have the latest versions of both.

HTH.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool I'm downloading Mavericks now. What's it like btw?

Haven't bought iWork so take it we won't get those for free :( even though a new iMac (less than year)

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

It seems fine, I haven't really had chance to try much out at the mo, but so far so good.

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Once I upgraded to Mavericks I got the new iLife apps off MAS thanks.

Now iWork....
    I have a trial disk off my original iMac somewhere, I've never bought the MAS apps, but hearing that trial goes to full MAS editions? Is this right? I don't see why you have to have bought after 1st Oct to get them free, my iMac is only 10 months old....

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Same here and I am happy! :apple: