Do i get virus protection with bootcamp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Naxeez, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Naxeez macrumors newbie

Hi.

If i install bootcamp on my iMac. Does it come with any anti virus protection or do i have to buy it myself?

Thanks if u reply :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, it does not come with virus protection

I use the AVG antivirus available for free
    There are other free ones

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Zerozal macrumors 6502

As said above, you have to supply your own virus protection when running Windows via BootCamp. I'm using Avast, which is free. AVG is also free as MacDawg said. I believe that both Avast and AVG are every bit as good as commercial scanners like McAfee or Norton--IMHO there is no reason to spend money for a virus scanner.

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

You'll have to install a virus scanner.
    I also recommend Avast. It's free and it gets the job done.
    I used to use NOD32. That was a great product as well, but it's not free.

5. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have used AVG in the past and that let some viruses get on my PC. Wasn't happy with it. AVAST has done a better job but it also has let some get on and it didn't detect them. The new Norton AV has protect my machine against everything so far and working wonderfully. Purchase one, don't use the free ones as they only do so good.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it was my primary machine and I depended on it, I might agree
    But since I only use my Windows infrequently and it is not critical for me, I will pass

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I agree. I actually haven't even installed any AV on my Windows side as I only used it once since installing it. It's all OS-X baby.

8. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I think Norton is a virus itself. It slows your pc so much you can only write in text editor. Norton is way too resource demanding.

I personally don't use virus scanners. That slow your pc and it takes time. (updating scanning). When I use windows it's only to play games, not to make a scan.

Never had a virus on one of my windows laptop, without virus scanner. Only cookies. And I have windows 7 installed on bootcamp which is better protected.

It's just which sites you visit and what you download.

To be honest, I think virus scanners are a little bit over rated. Common sense is for me enough.

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

That was the old Norton. The new one that completely re-worked the software. All the reviews even say it's the fastest one out there now.

It is definitely low on resources. Please stop spreading mis-info that is outdated. I use to think this tilll I did new research.

How do you know you DON'T HAVE A VIRUS if you don't have a scanner seriously? Many do not ever show themselves, they just send information out. Public sites, car forums, many other sites have been hacked and had the ability to give viruses out. Emails and so on can as well. Many forms of it. Keep thinking that way....as I don't and I work on computers 24/7 pretty much for the last 25 years.

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

nizmoz,

to be sure I had no viruses I installed AVG, made a scan. After the full scan there was no virus or malware found.

p.s. did your scanner found many threats after scanning?

11. freesonwang macrumors member

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

13. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

No doesn't come with virus protection. I use avast! free antivirus for my bootcamp. It doesn't have a cool interface or graphical effects, but it does it's job without annoying alerts and pop-ups

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Well then as soon as you removed AVG, you got a virus. Ever head of Schrödinger's cat?