Do I give my wife my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sue De Nimes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I have the following iMac bought in June this year.

3.4Ghz i7
    16GB RAM
    2TB HDD
    2GB 6970m

I got it from the refurb store at a really good price.

I am going to get my wife a 27" iMac. I quite like the idea of the 680M in the new iMac for gaming. (Moar Lazors!)

How much is the following Mac likely to cost in the UK?

iMac 27"
    680M with 2GB VRAM
    3TB Fusion Drive
    16GB Ram (happy to upgrade myself)

Depending on cost I will do that and let my wife have my iMac or if it is silly money hang on and buy her the bottom end 27" iMac

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know the cost but it sounds like a really good plan.

3. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

If money is not an issue buy yourself the top end iMac and give it to her as long as those specs do matter for her everyday use.

Here are the questions you have to ask yourself.

1. Will my wife get jealous if I have the newer thinner prettier iMac?

I know a lot of men who hand down their tech stuff to their wives and most of them have no issues at all.

I know my wife would be more upset if I handed her down my old iMac and it was slow, unresponsive, etc. If I gave my wife a 4 year old iMac and it was significantly slow, the headaches I would get from her afterwards over this would not be worth the money saved.

Your iMac is still the current model till the new one gets released in December. There should be no issues if you plan to swap her out.

2. Does my wife even care and wants just a working computer?

This one for me is simple. If it works with my wife's scrapbooking machines and does facebook, my wife is happy. She uses my old 2010 Macbook as a computer sometimes and it runs faster than her laptop she got around same time.

3. Do the costs justify value I get out of the machine.

When I say value I mean personal not financial. If you enjoy gaming and prefer Apple Hardware, regardless of costs, you should go all in and buy yourself a top of line iMac. As long as it does not financial hurt you to spend the difference, the happier you are, the less stress you are. If you are looking to save money & if you do not need the space, buy yourself the 1tb Fusion drive and then buy a cheap reasonable 3TB USB 3.0 or TB drive instead to expand your storage.

Buy yourself the top end 27 inch iMac,