Do I give up on the 16 MBP, buy the 16 rMB and hold out for the 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maka344, Jan 14, 2017.

  1. maka344, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

    maka344 macrumors 6502a

    maka344

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #1
    I have had the nTB and TB both 512gb. I have also had various issues with screen uniformity, cracking, dodgy buttons so had a few replacements.

    I currently have the nTB but only 256gb as that's what they had in stock. I will struggle with 256 (tried to use iCloud to offload a couple of things as I have the 200gb plan) and the screen has a pink hue in the left hand corner plus there's more clicking.

    I can get the rMB M5 512gb for the same price @£1299 from JL with a 2 year warranty. I only really use the machine for word docs, media consumption etc. I don't connect to an external monitor and use the machine on my lap/sofa/bed. The 256 nTB cost me £1300 from Apple.

    Do I give up on the 16 MBP, buy the 16 rMB and hold out for the 2017 MBP as I should get a good resale price on the rMB?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    [MOD NOTE]
    I updated the title to make it more descriptive. Please avoid using such generic terms when creating threads.
     
  3. ihatetoregister macrumors 6502

    ihatetoregister

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2016
    Location:
    Oslo, Norway
    #3
    I would absolutely buy the lesser machine, and hold out for the 2017 for the better mbp.
    The current iteration is terrible on many aspects.
     
  4. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #4
    I probably wouldn't buy the rMB now. It's very likely to be updated in a few months. But yes, come April you should probably pick one up.

    But, if they put TB on the rMB - which they will absolutely need to if they want Apple Pay to ever become close to a mainstream payment method - then the same manufacturing issues will occur since it'll be a first-gen. Always, always, always going to be the case.

    What I really do not understand is why you actively purchased something you know isn't going to be suitable - with the 256GB.

    Just to be clear; the next year model will be far better. And then the one after that will be far better. And each will come with their quirks, bugs and manufacturing defects, too.
     
  5. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2016
    #5
    I'm going through the same debate as well, but then again it's like with anything nowadays - 2018 cars are already out so those who bought 2017 cars before new year are probably kick themselves for not waiting. There will always be something new out and we cannot compete with it so I just say get whatever works for you now
     
  6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

    New_Mac_Smell

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Location:
    UK / China
    #6
    Depends what you're holding out for. If it's a MacBook Unicorn you might be disappointed.

    Things like screen uniformity should settle after a few weeks of use, as with any screen, as they come straight from the factory they do need wearing in. The keys are the same, you'll likely get sticky keys but after a few days use of each key they should be fine.

    Don't rely on resale values ever, do not buy something thinking you'll be able to recoup your money and invest it in the future. Just buy the machine you need for your uses. If you need 512GB then you shouldn't have brought a 256GB machine, and should have waited. If you really need it then return it and get a 512GB.

    In terms of which to buy, it really depends on what you need. They'll all depreciate in value. The 2017 MBP (If there is one) is not going to be a completely different machine, it'll have slighter faster specs and that's it.

    Anyway, just get what you need to do your work.
     
  7. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2016
    #7
    Agree. I don't see a full redesign for the 2017 model cause what else can they do to it? The ports are already gone and replaced with USB-C. I just probably see newer colors and that's it
     
  8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

    New_Mac_Smell

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Location:
    UK / China
    #8
    The 2017 will likely have a faster CPU, it could be Kabylake. It could have slightly faster RAM, possibly DDR4. It could have slightly faster SSD. But that's about it, given Intel's release schedule I think that 2017 will come out spring 2018. This would allow them to use the KL without compromise.

    Expect the 2019 to add possibly haptics to the TB.

    Expect the 2020 to add speed.

    Expect the 2021 to be a redesign.

    We might get more colour options or they might keep them for the lower end 'fun' devices. You could get a gold option next year, but I think it would like ugly as hell in gold. But they'll probably do something eventually.
     
  9. borgusio macrumors regular

    borgusio

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #9
    Same situation as yours,

    I bought a refurbished m5 2015 under 1.000 bucks and the intention was to switch to the MBP 2017.
    However, this machine is amazing, as soon as the MB 2017 comes out, I may buy that one instead!
     
  10. bringbackjobs macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2016
    #10
    I picked up a 2016. If Apple starts updating macbook pros like they do iPhones, guess we all would be upset? The best advice for a novice buyer, if you need a computer buy one otherwise wait until you can't wait no more then buy. The latest technology is only new for a minute, and there are no guarantees.

    The world is embracing mobile devices and the laptop is still in that universe. The problem is that we have reached some technical hurdles and in my opinion some technological philosophy issues.

    Software: In app purchases and subscription models have taken away some of the value proposition of using a computer. This infected gaming. App store profiteering has little the landscape with unfinished or uninteresting apps, with gems fewer and farther between. I would kill for Age of Empires II on macOS Sierra. So much so, that I am studying programming with the intent of writing native mac games with the old business model.

    Hardware: Graphics cards are the tech that is growing now, CPUs have stagnated. Going smaller is costing significantly more each step, the tick-tock cycle of releases is officially broken even. Kaby Lake is a middle step between Skylake and Cannonlake, if Intel doesn't change it's mind. KL will give you a Skylake optimized architecture that can clock a little higher. Native graphics improvements are going to help MBP in future generations but there is one last problem... good gPU require a lot of power and release a lot of heat... so battery technology and cooling technology becomes a real limiting factor. The 2016 model has cooling improvements but no battery improvements over the 2015 for the most part.

    A better battery too soon would hurt Apple's image. Any bug fixes in macOS that can address battery life is much better for the company so expect that before a quiet or loud update to the battery in the 2016 model. And from that same angle, I think any 2017 release would be at the one year mark or so and incorporate design notes from the phone range. If there is no division for just Mac, this is my hope for a positive spin. Many PC manufacturers update models annually. If Apple offered the outgoing model at a 15% discount through the Education store... everybody wins.
     
  11. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2013
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #11
    This is basically what I have done but I got a refurb rMB 2016, I'll probably use it until either the rMB 2018 comes out or Christmas 2017 I'll see how the new MBP is, I will keep this until Christmas at the very least though.
     
  12. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    maka344

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #12
    Thanks all. I'm ultra confused, especially with some of the comments on just how mind blowingly good the 16 rMB is. I can get the 512 M5 for £250 less than RRP with an extra years warranty.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    Thanks for your reply. How true is your screen comment? The reason I ask, most of the machines I have had thus far have suffered from this issue with only one being perfect out of the box. Why are some near perfect and others with huge purple hues at the bottom and what's he best way to help the screen settle/bed in quicker?
     
  13. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #13
    OP:
    "Do I give up on the 16 MBP, buy the 16 rMB and hold out for the 2017 MBP as I should get a good resale price on the rMB?"

    Option you haven't considered:
    Return it and get a 2015 model instead.
     
  14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #14
    OP -

    Return it and get a 2015 MBP model. A superior overall experience for me.
     
  15. thadoggfather macrumors 604

    thadoggfather

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    #15
    2015 rMB or rMBP?

    You guys are confusing haha
     
  16. Sanpete macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2016
    Location:
    Utah
    #16
    It appears you have a 2014 rMBP. Is there something wrong with that one?

    Since your user requirements aren't high, any Mac should work fine. Just get the size SSD you really want.

    Don't count on a 2017 model soon.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2017 ---
    That's seems unlikely given the recent history of MBP upgrades.
     
  17. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #17
    We were talking about the rMB, not MBP.
     
  18. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    maka344

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #18
    I did have the 2014 MBP but sold it a couple of weeks before the announcement. Overdose, is have kept that knowing what I know now.

    So not really interested in getting the 2015 model.

    I think I'll just go 16 MBP 512 given the better screen, keyboard, speakers and IO over the 16 rMB.
     
  19. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
  20. Sanpete macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2016
    Location:
    Utah
    #20
    Oh, right. Same point applies. It was just updated.

    Edit: Ha, I guess not. Still catching up on the lineup! Maybe there will be an update for the retina MB, if they don't drop it.
     
  21. andy9l, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

    andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #21
    Drop it? You must be kidding.

    If there's any line they'll drop it'll be the Pro line. Why try to market to the niche world of professional users when you could capture every young boy and girl out there...and sell them very attractive laptops that cost similar to an iPhone, and get updated in a similar manner so they'll buy one every two years.

    Money, money, money.
     
  22. dyn macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2009
    Location:
    .nl
    #22
    Why buy the MBP if you can work on the MB? They are both great machines but do serve a different audience.
     

Share This Page