Do I go a Refurb Mac Pro 2.6 or wait for new imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newportmac, May 24, 2007.

  1. newportmac macrumors member

    May 23, 2007
    I need your help. I am moving from a PC to a Mac and want to buy something that will allow me to convert my home movies (75 hours at least) to DVD's and offer me the ability to surf the net, etc. My budget was 2,000 but I am willing to spend a little more if it is worth it. The other thing is.. no one has a crystal ball to say what the new imac will be like.. but I do like the idea of bringing your own monitor so one up for the pro... and the graphics card will help with rendering. I will probably do fine with iMovie, but maybe go to Final Cut express at some point down the road.. My hesitation is with buying something for $2100 and having something come out next month for 1500 that is as good if not better. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

    Refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon
    Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
  2. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502


    May 20, 2006
    It doesn't seem like it's anything urgent, so as much as it may hurt, just wait to see what WWDC brings.

    Also, no matter what the new iMacs bring, they're probably not going to beat out Mac Pros, they're consumer computers, and Mac Pros are, well, for pros. For video rendering and so on, I don't know, it'd depend on how serious you're trying to make these. iMacs will probably serve your purposes in terms of home movies, but if you're looking to really up the quality and such later on, you may want to look into the pros, but again, just wait a few weeks and see what happens.
  3. teohyc macrumors regular


    May 24, 2007
    The quad Mac Pro will last you for quite a while.
    Prices of new machines will drop but not that much.
    That's because revision includes upgrades of components.
  4. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Yes, good advice :)

    If you didn't know, WWDC is a conference where things are often released (last year the Mac Pro and 5.5G iPod came out, Leopard was previewed, and the appleTV was announced), it will be happening on June 11th this year, so its definitely worth the wait, just in case...
  5. newportmac thread starter macrumors member

    May 23, 2007
    Diffently going to wait until June 11 to see what happens... I think I am leaning towards going a pro.. not that I need it to do what I want it to do, but it be worth it just so it doesnt become obolete in a year.. if i could get say 5 years out of it.. then i can justify spending 2200 for the box alone.. oh.. and lets not forget another 3 years with the kids after i'm done with it...:)

Share This Page