Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Florida :/
I feel like my battery isn't up to par on my new ipad air.

When I got my launch ipad 1, one thing I noticed was that it seemed to take forever for the battery to drain.

On this, the first thing I noticed was that it seemed like it was draining faster.

I just unplugged from having it charge all night and have been doing very light browsing, the brightness is at about 25%. Usage shows 25 minutes of use and I'm already at 95%.

Should I exchange it?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I feel like my battery isn't up to par on my new ipad air.

When I got my launch ipad 1, one thing I noticed was that it seemed to take forever for the battery to drain.

On this, the first thing I noticed was that it seemed like it was draining faster.

I just unplugged from having it charge all night and have been doing very light browsing, the brightness is at about 25%. Usage shows 25 minutes of use and I'm already at 95%.

Should I exchange it?

Two things just off the top of my head. The battery percentage indicator may not be correct, it may need to be calibrated. The percentage indicator is just an estimate. Also, did you restore from your original iPad backup? If so I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. Restore as new.

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
No, I set up as a new ipad. Is there a way to calibrate the meter to see if that's the problem?

One thing I noticed is that my ipad was at 97% out of the box. My girlfriend's ipad was at like 84%. Not sure if that means anything but I thought it was weird.

Should I restore and see if that helps?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd run it down to 70%, and then check Usage to see how much time you got from the battery. If it's less than 3 hours, and you weren't playing intense games, I'd look into getting another.

P.S. Crank the brightness up to 50%. You want to use the same brightness as most reviewers are using, and reporting battery times.

dulaney22

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I'd run it down to 70%, and then check Usage to see how much time you got from the battery. If it's less than 3 hours, and you weren't playing intense games, I'd look into getting another.

P.S. Crank the brightness up to 50%. You want to use the same brightness as most reviewers are using, and reporting battery times.

Mine, after one full discharge, shows 9.5 hours and still 31%, with 1 day 8 hours standby time. Yeah, if you aren't getting at least an hour per 10% something is wrong.

My last ipad was the 3rd and I'm blown away by the battery life of the Air.

Lecdg2

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Hello
5% lost for 25min of used is the normal average.
For web consultation only I'am loosing 1% for 6-7min on ipad air compare to 5-6 on ipad 3.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Sounds like something isn't right. My two charge cycles I've had have been over 15 hours usage with over two days standby. A lot of other people reporting similar figures.

Also battery life gets a little better after the first couple of full charges. Just checked mine at 92% 2 hours 7 mins usage with 11 hours standby.

Btw the out of the box charge is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
So I'm at 80% and that's 2 hours, 19 minutes of usage.

Just had my gf send me a screenshot of her battery and she is at 4 hours, 34 minutes usage and 79% battery.

I'm taking it back tomorrow.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

Just had my gf send me a screenshot of her battery and she is at 4 hours, 34 minutes usage and 79% battery.

If she was playing music with the screen off it would still register as time used but of course with the screen off the battery wouldn't drain as fast.

Your iPad is probably okay.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Can anyone tell me is this is good.

aqZElqX.jpg

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
I would highly recommend charging your ipad to 100%, then use it until the battery dies, and charge it again. That will calibrate your battery, and show you accurate results.

That's exactly what I did when I got it. Used it till it literally shut off, then charged to 100%.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I would highly recommend charging your ipad to 100%, then use it until the battery dies, and charge it again. That will calibrate your battery, and show you accurate results.

Good advice. Do this a couple of times. If you feel it still aint right, return it within the return window for a full refund. Then buy another one and try again. :D

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

How are you connected (cell, WiFi)? And what's your signal strength like? And what's your GF doing on her iPad?

Of course, she's at half your usage, but you're still getting 10% per hour, which will give you 10 hours of battery life... Not sure how she's getting 20% per hour...

Clint

Guitarpik

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Wifi only ipad. Wifi signal is usually 2 bars.

I asked what she has been doing and she said just browsing/videos. Never had the screen off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.