Do I have a bad battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matto1020, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Matto1020 macrumors member

Matto1020

Well I've had my Macbook Pro for a little over a year now, and my battery seems to not be able to last longer than one hour. Even when I charge it fully, Coconut battery says its at 2765mAh (49%).

I've tried draining it and then recharging it fully but it still does the same thing. I have applecare on my laptop, will this cover the battery and if so, should I call or take it in?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I don't think Applecare covers the battery past 1 year, you could ring apple up though and complain, but I doubt you'll get anywhere, you can get new batteries on ebay for about £40 (probably $50-60), they're oem ones though, not official apple ones.

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yep, sounds like battery is hitting the s***s. Had a few myself do the same. One thing to be aware of w. third party batteries is even though they may work fine, they don't always have a good fit and the charge light indicators don't work unless you physically press the button. Not all unhappy with them cause they do get the job done, just little things that if you're picky will bother you.

4. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Always try calling Apple first. You never know if thy are feeling generous. They will usually want to get bad batteries out of the system, so you should get a new one sent your way. Just make sure to send back the defective one or they will charge you (they provide the box and shipping labels).

5. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

my machine had a bad battery around its one year mark... i had apple care, they swapped it without quibbling so give em a call.

6. Matto1020 thread starter macrumors member

Matto1020

Well I called Apple on Sunday, they spoke with me for about 5 minutes before telling me that they would send a new one out to me.

It's Tuesday and it's here already!

Talk about fantastic customer service!!!