do I have a battery issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Batavian, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Batavian, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Got an iPad 3 16GB black.

Watched a 2 hr movie last night, full brightness.

iPad was at 80% when I started watching, finished at 30% by end.

Surfed a little bit before going to bed. iPad was at 18% when I plugged charger in. Shutoff (not sleep) so there would be nothing running.

8-1/2 hrs later, turn on iPad and it's only at 85%.

This seems like a long time to charge. Is this normal?

2. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

You had it plugged into the supplied iPad cable and charger right?

If so that seems long. I've charged from 2% and it took maybe 6 hours with just screen off.

When I turn my iPad off and plug into a power source it though, it does power back on. To my knowledge you can't charge an iOS device powered off. Only those few minutes, when the battery actually dies.

3. Batavian thread starter macrumors 6502

Batavian

Yes, I used the charger that came with the iPad.

You are correct. If you turn the iPad off, then plug the charger in, it will start.

I don't think the reverse is true. That is, I plugged the charger in first, then turned off the iPad. It must have charged some as I went from 18% to 85%. I had to push the power button to turn it back on in the morning...got the Apple logo startup screen one sees when turning it on.

4. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

80% to 30% in a couple hours seems like an awful lot, even at full brightness. but have you drained it all the way and let the battery die and then charge it up again? Your battery meter probably isn't accurate until you do that.

5. Batavian thread starter macrumors 6502

Batavian

I did that. First thing I did when I got my iPad was charge to 100%. Did this even before activating. Then activated, normal usage, actually lasted two days, ran it down to 0%. Charged to 100%. After that, normal usage.

No complaints on battery life, even given I could only watch one movie between charges. Warmer back doesn't really worry me. But taking so long to charge does. My gosh if it takes longer than 8-1/2 hrs to charge, I'll have to stop using it mid-evening just so I know I can leave the house with it fully charged in the morning.

6. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Not true. You simply plug in the device to the power cable then power the device off. You obviously will not be able to seen when the device is fully charged. But depending on device and depth discharge the device should fully charge in 4-6 hours.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

That is correct! Only way to charge with the unit is off is to turn it off AFTER you start charging. It does not charge any faster though.

8. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Mine takes about six hours from 0 to 100% (at least it reads 100%), others here have reported the same.

9. andrewfee macrumors 6502

50% when watching a two hour film seems like a lot.

What app were you using to play it, and what type of film were you playing? If the built in Videos app can't play it directly, or you can't stream it via iTunes Home Sharing, it probably isn't using the hardware decoder and wasting a lot of CPU (and therefore battery life)

You were at maximum brightness though, which isn't something I use often. I'd expect 20–30% at most really. (I tend to lose about 10% or less an hour, depending on the task being done, but I rarely use full brightness)