Do I have a broken iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ee99ee, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I have looked over the forums and see people having various issues similar to mine, but I don't seem to find anyone who has all of the problems I am having. Can someone tell me if this is software related issues or if the problems I am having are possibly due to a faulty iPhone. I am going to an apple store today, so if I need to exchange it now is the time to do it.

• Poor battery life: I recently drove from Nashville to Atlanta, a 3 hour drive. When I left, the battery was at 100% because I took it off the charger. When I arrived in Atlanta I had already received the 20% battery life warning. I took three phone calls totaling about 20 minutes of total talk time during the drive and checked my mail a couple of times while driving. Additionally, I can't seem to get through one day with a full charge.
    • Screen disabled during phone calls: During a phone call, I cannot use the iPhone until the other person hangs up. Once I start talking, if I pull the phone away from my face the screen turns off. If I put it back close to my face, the screen turns back on. The only way to use the iPhone again is to hang up by pressing the power button and wait about 10 seconds.
    • Location services do not work: The only time I can get location services -- GPS, or otherwise -- to work from any app is to reboot the phone. Once I do that, location services work for a couple of hours before I have to do it again.
    • Alarms do not work: I have a daily alarm set that wakes me up, but it never goes off. It is turned on and the time and days are set correctly, but it does not alarm in the mornings. If I set another alarm, they work on some days and not others -- it seems to be random when the alarms work.
    • Unable to answer calls: Approx 50% of the time, if I am listening to something on the iPod and the phone rings, the iPod fades away and I am presented with the ability to answer it. Half of the time, however, the song fades away and the phone locks up until the call is divereted to voicemail. Nothing I do allows me to answer the call. When the call is missed, the music then does not return -- I have to go and hit play again.
    • Caller unable to hear me: About 30% of calls I make outbound I have to hang up and call back before the person can hear me. I can hear them, but they cannot hear me. This happens with and without a headset.
    • iPod gets confused: Occasionally, I will hit play and the iPod will say it's playing but nothing happens. If I hit pause and play a couple more times, the song or podcast finally begins.

-Chris

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Return your phone for a new one. How are u even using this phone? lol

3. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I thought it was just buggy 2.0 software....

-Chris

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sounds like it may be a bad one.

Before you return it:
    Try restoring it to factory settings (for software issues) and then drain the battery until it turns off completely and then charge it completely and repeat 2X times (for battery issues)

If it still acts up, have it replaced.

5. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

If I had time, I would... I won't be able to do that before I'm at the apple store today, and I don't want to have to go back...

-Chris

6. m477h3w macrumors 6502

That is awful :eek:

Poor battery life: My battery is fine. I have everything turned on, and with normal usage only need to charge it overnight.

Screen disabled during phone calls: This should be the other way around, screen disabled when at your face, and active when you move it away.

Location services do not work: Works perfectly on my phone, never had an issue.

Alarms do not work: I use the alarm to wake me every day, never had a problem.

Unable to answer calls: This should just not be happening.

Caller unable to hear me: Again, this should just not be happening.

iPod gets confused: I have never had this problem, iPod works flawlessly.

Short answer, definately take it back!!!! :D

7. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

What do you mean? I'm a pretty stupid user, so that could certainly be it. :)

-Chris

8. cantankerously macrumors regular

How long have you had the phone?

I would run it through several charge/ discharge cycles to set the battery range and capacity. Also, update the phones firmware to v.2.0 (5A347).

9. paulold macrumors 6502

Just the battery performance alone suggests you have a bad phone (i.e. bad battery). The easiest thing would be to get them to exchange the phone and see what happens. Bring your list of issues. Be sure to sync your iPhone with your computer before you go to the Apple Store so that you have the latest copy of everything and can restore it all to your new phone. I think the only thing you will lose is your voicemails, when switching phones.

I don't know if it has improved, but when I had exchanged my iPhone (1st gen) because of battery issues, one thing the Mac Genius noted was I had a bunch of alarms set which she heard caused problems. I used to have an alarm set for every day of the week and left them on all the time. Now I have different times that I use and choose the one I want to wake up to before I go to bed, so that only one alarm is active and only overnight, while my phone is charging. I also manually check for my emails instead of asking the phone to do it for me. Plus I keep my WiFi off unless I need to use it. But then these are all things I do with my 1st gen phone. I haven't had any problems with battery life since, but I think the biggest reason is because I had my phone replaced.