Do I have a case for warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chase Morgan, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Chase Morgan macrumors newbie

About six weeks ago I bought a 13 inch MacBook Air with upgraded RAM and processor. A couple days ago I was doing math homework at my desk with my computer closed next to my book and notebook. I was using my calculator and I accidentally dropped it on my CLOSED MacBook. It landed on the top right corner of the apple logo, I didn't think it'd cause any problems but when I opened it up theres a large piece of the screen that is black. I took it to the local computer repair shop and they told me it would be 1,000, that's right more than half the value of the computer. I'm going to an Apple store on Saturday a hour away to see if there's anything they could work out. Do I have any case for this? I think the design is part at fault, 1,000 worth of damage for a calculator dropped from less than a foot isn't good design. Anything I could say that would help? I don't want to stop using Apple a brand my family and I have used for ten years. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. No case. User damage is not covered under the general warranty.

3. Chase Morgan thread starter macrumors newbie

I read on other websites of people with cracked screens who were able to get a replacement so I feel like I have a better case than they do

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you go in, ask what they can do, etc you might be lucky.

If you go in stating it was a design fault and it should be covered, you will get nothing.

P.S. For the record, you can't drop a calculator from a foot+ onto a thin metal backed screen and not expect it to break.