Do I have a copy of Final Cut Studio Academic or Retail? I'm Confused!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aedude01, Jul 10, 2008.

1. aedude01 macrumors newbie

Ok, so this may sound like a stupid question, but I really need some advice.

A few years ago, when I was till a college student, I received a copy of what I thought was the academic version of Final Cut Studio. (It was a gift from my Grandpa). Most recently I've been looking to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2, but I know that you can't do this with the academic version. That's what makes this so weird.

When I went to install my old FCS on my new mac I had I noticed my serial number sticker for FCS read something like "############## - Final Cut Studio- RETAIL" . I checked the copy of my software and when it boots I get the usual FCP Splash screen (there's no indication that it's an Academic Version). I called my Grandfather who purchased the software for me and he can't remember what version he bought.

My question is, do I have a copy of the Academic FCS or FCS Retail? If its Academic I have no issue buying the full version, but if I have a retail copy I'd like to be able to upgrade.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Lee

2. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Sounds to me like you have the retail version, though I'm sure it'll be easy enough to check when you try to upgrade it!

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If "Academic" does not appear under "Final Cut Pro" on the splash screen, chances are that it's a retail version. And you pretty much answered your own question when you stated that your serial number says "RETAIL."