Do I have a defective 3G? No thumbnail when sharing Facebook post on iPhone6, iOS8.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DivineCake, Apr 25, 2015.

1. DivineCake macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am wondering whether my 3G is defective because when I share a post (via apps that shares on Facebook such as Feedly, Pocket, etc.) while on 3G, the thumbnail is not loading nor attached to the shared post. While on WiFi it is working as intended. I have reported this to Facebook, but I have yet to receive any word from them. My assumption is that this is "optimization" on Facebook's, that if they detect your 3G to be slow/or working abnormally, they don't attach the thumbnail to the post, which is my main concern for defective 3G.

Unit is less than a week old. iPhone 6, 16gb iOS8.3

[​IMG]

I asked a friend to test, and she is able to share a post with thumbnail even on a 3G connection. She is also on iOS 8.3 the only difference is that she's on iPhone5/5S. Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Looks like you are in the Philippines. Mabuhay! I worked at globe for 5 yrs as a switch engineer :)

What plan do you have? It depends if you are prepaid or a postpaid subscriber. I believe when you are on a prepaid I heard that they are running a promo "unlimited" for Facebook? If so, your sim was provisioned only for a certain program that your 3G signal can accommodate text file and not images. Try changing your subscription.

3. DivineCake, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

DivineCake thread starter macrumors newbie

Mabuhay to you as well! It is so nice to hear from someone from Globe here. I hate coming to Globe centers for reasons being.
    I'm on 999 UnliSurf Plan Postpaid. I bought a separate Prepaid LTE Sim (used FREEGS50/GOSURF50 - Free Surfing) to test it out, and the same problem still persists!

Though it's weird cause I am able to share posts (using the same Sim) on my Android phone just fine!!! So my assumption is that it is my phone that's the problem!

4. T4R06 macrumors 65816

that was way back 2005. did you check your APN? i just check your post and saw the image that you only have 3G connection. im expecting at least you have HSPA+ or LTE since you have unlimited connection.

5. DivineCake thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's odd cause the Prepaid LTE Sim is detecting an LTE connection, but still the same issue, no thumbnails attached on the shared posts.

[​IMG]

Cellular Data
    APN is at http.globe.com.ph

I have also tried Reset Settings to no avail, even reformatted my phone to Factory Settings. I appreciate your help very much!

6. T4R06 macrumors 65816

i guess this is your last option, uninstall your fb and install again. or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2pSRx2f7Bc

7. DivineCake, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

DivineCake thread starter macrumors newbie

will give that a try, thank you! will be testing on a friend's iPhone as well!

Just to give you an update, we used Speedtest and my friend is able to replicate the same problem when she shared a post with upload speed of 0.05mb. It could be Facebook's way of optimizing shared posts when mobile internet upload speed is very slow. Now what I have to prove is that, it is not the phone that is limiting the upload speed, but rather on the part of Globe!

8. DivineCake thread starter macrumors newbie

Tested on a friend's iPhone6+, everything is working as intended using the same SIM. Now I have to look for someone with an iPhone6 to test it out.