Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRalph

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Miami, Fl
Hi, 3 days ago I got a MacBook Pro 13" as an early birthday present to replace my old 13" mbp that got stolen.

On my previous MacBook pro (Late 2011) I never cared about the battery and always charged it overnight and I would get 5-6 hours which was enough and I never plugged it in during the day.

With this new MacBook pro I really want to take more care of it and especially take care of the battery, I've searched through the forum and found mixed options on whether I should let my computer always plugged in (Since I really never go out with it) or charge it, let the battery drain, charge it again and so on. So thats m first question:

- Should it always be plugged in or should I charge it, drain it and then charge it again.

The other concern I'm having is that I downloaded an app from the Mac App Store called: Battery Doctor. and it says my battery capacity is in 99% :eek: Original Max: 5770 mAh Current Max: 5736... After only 3 days! So my other question is:

- Did my battery come defective?

Im really worried because I think loosing 1% of battery capacity in just 3 days is really bad, it also says I have 5 cycles...

Thank you so much and I'm sorry for my english in this post, I'm 14 and English is not my main language.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
No battery indicator is not accurate sometimes.
Its not a defective battery.

Plus I leave my Mac plugged in all the time.
I sometimes use the battery but not that often, 90 charge cycles after 1 year and 7 months.

And please search the thread for these posts.
There are so many posts about "Battery low, defective battery?"
or "should I charge it all the time?"

Go to the search forums on the top right and type in battery.
You will get tons of similar posts.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I agree.
Its coming to the point where it gets ridiculous to see these every day...

I can understand why people get worried, but I can't understand why it puts them in so much of a panic that they loose the ability to search.

mine has dipped to around 95% average since july, which is a little worrying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.