Do I have a defective IPad 3? Verizon LTE question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jtludwig, May 10, 2012.

1. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon IPad 3 with LTE.*

I find that the LTE signal is pretty stable when I'm not moving, but if I try to use LTE while I'm riding in a car I encounter frequent (every couple minutes) situations where I go from full LTE to no bars/no service and then back to full bars. *I don't have this problem if I'm using 3G.*

Unfortunately the dropout is enough to screw up whatever I'm doing at the time. I thought it was maybe just my town, but I travel a lot and have the same problem in other cities such as Salt Lake City.*

Do I have a defective IPad or is LTE doing this because all of the bugs haven't been worked out yet in the new network?

Thanks!

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Have you tried to check the coverage areas? It's possible that you're going in and out of LTE coverage.

3. Jtludwig thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah..the maps show me in areas of continuous coverage. I mean this is happening in places like downtown Salt Lake City..not out in the country.

4. Jtludwig thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I ended up going to the Apple store and the Genius knew exactly what I was talking about...he replaced it with a new unit immediately. 

5. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Awesome!

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I live in Salt Lake City and am having the exact same problem on my Verizon iPad. It is enough to bother me also, what did the genius say it was about?
    I'll probably go drop by this weekend.

7. ljones macrumors regular

Hmmm, anyone in New England having this issue? I commute from Providence to Boston on the T and my connection always drops to nothing. Even 3G is awful if present. I had to do a conf call on my iPhone, no issues on AT&T, even through the Back Bay tunnels.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

How about getting yourself a AT&T micro-SIM for your iPad then? :rolleyes:

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Went to the Apple Store and the Genius wouldn't replace it. She told me to go home and try putting it in DFCU to reset it. She said if that doesn't work then to go back and it'll be replaced. Looks like I'll be going back tomorrow. I'm already on my third iPad third generation because of issues.