Do I have a defective iPad?

Is it normal for the iPad 3 to get warm on maximum brightness?

• Yes

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

mark28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
My iPad 3 gets really warm at maximum brightness. Yet people on some site claim their iPad does not get warm at maximum brightness.

So is my iPad defective?

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
From what I have read the ipad 3 gets slightly hotter but not out of normal operating range

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
IF you want us to be blunt about it, as you were a few posts back....

Yes, it is normal. No, it is not defective.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Unfortunately, its normal for iPad 3. Normal does not mean its good though. My iPad 2 runs completely cool at full brightness. This is one of the things that is a step backwards with the new iPad IMO.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Well that was stupid of me. I just voted no, as in "Do I have a defective iPad—No." but just realised that your question there was "Is it normal for the iPad 3 to get warm on maximum brightness?" to which the answer is yes.

In future, it might be best to keep the same question on the poll as the topic title, or at least keep the same intent rather than flipping it around.

But back to the question at hand, this is completely normal, especially if you're doing more complex tasks like playing games. The Pinball Arcade at max brightness will warm up my iPad in no time for example. (but I would never describe it as hot—cooler than any notebook I've ever used—especially if they're running games)

The question is why do you use it at full brightness.....
You've never tried to use it during the day or near a window? I definitely need to turn the brightness up full sometimes, and this is in Northern Europe, which isn't exactly known for its sunshine.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I have one of those remote laser infrared thermometers. My iPad 3 typically gets to around 83 degrees F. It doesn't seem to change based on screen brightness though.

Still cooler than the VoIP phone I got at work. Just sitting idle, it registers a balmy 91.5 degrees. :)