Do I have a defective iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Aug 2, 2012.

?

Is it normal for the iPad 3 to get warm on maximum brightness?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    84.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. mark28 macrumors 68000

My iPad 3 gets really warm at maximum brightness. Yet people on some site claim their iPad does not get warm at maximum brightness.

So is my iPad defective?

2. kaielement macrumors 65816

The question is why do you use it at full brightness.....

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

The question is if this is normal for the iPad 3.

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

From what I have read the ipad 3 gets slightly hotter but not out of normal operating range

5. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

IF you want us to be blunt about it, as you were a few posts back....

Yes, it is normal. No, it is not defective.

6. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Unfortunately, its normal for iPad 3. Normal does not mean its good though. My iPad 2 runs completely cool at full brightness. This is one of the things that is a step backwards with the new iPad IMO.

7. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

omg haha I voted 4 No :)
    Don't act crazy if your iPad gets hot, thats quiet normal & nothing melts inside your device, hopefully :D

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

The question is that you can't do anything about it, unless Apple personally listens to you and gives a customised solution for you !

9. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Well that was stupid of me. I just voted no, as in "Do I have a defective iPad—No." but just realised that your question there was "Is it normal for the iPad 3 to get warm on maximum brightness?" to which the answer is yes.

In future, it might be best to keep the same question on the poll as the topic title, or at least keep the same intent rather than flipping it around.

But back to the question at hand, this is completely normal, especially if you're doing more complex tasks like playing games. The Pinball Arcade at max brightness will warm up my iPad in no time for example. (but I would never describe it as hot—cooler than any notebook I've ever used—especially if they're running games)

You've never tried to use it during the day or near a window? I definitely need to turn the brightness up full sometimes, and this is in Northern Europe, which isn't exactly known for its sunshine.

10. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

My iPad (3) got really hot. I wouldn't worry about it as it's completely normal.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have one of those remote laser infrared thermometers. My iPad 3 typically gets to around 83 degrees F. It doesn't seem to change based on screen brightness though.

Still cooler than the VoIP phone I got at work. Just sitting idle, it registers a balmy 91.5 degrees. :)