Do I have a faulty iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waveydavey13, Jun 13, 2012.

1. waveydavey13 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

We bought a new iPad recently and have started to think it may be faulty?

Basically it seems to be draining the battery faster than everybody talks about. I've seen quite a few things online that say when left in sleep mode overnight the battery will either not go down at all or may drop by say 1% in 8 or 9 hours. Ours on the other hand drains by 1% to 2% every two to three hours so when left overnight in sleep mode it's draining by approx 5% or 6%. When using the iPad for browsing battery usage drops by around 10-15% an hour

Is this indeed more than you guys are getting?

Also just to point out we have no notifications switched on and don't use the e-mail app to get e-mail as more than one of us uses the iPad so we use our iPhone e-mail apps and the web portals of our e-mail accounts when on the iPad.

I've tried a full restore to factory default where iTunes downloads the iOS again and reinstalls it but it's still the same.

Any input from other owners would be appreciated before I decide to take it back to the apple store.

Cheers

Dave.

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Do you have cellular on your iPad, and if so, is it on all the time? Do you have iCloud backups enabled? Do you have anything running, or leave any apps open, at night?

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

My wife's iPhone drains at more than twice the rate mine does. It's because she has a lot of push messages, a ton of email notifications from Facebook, and has location services turned on for almost every program. (We recently fixed that.)

I would start by minimizing push messages and other things that "wake up" the iPad. Try turning off location services, Bluetooth, cellular data (if applicable), etc. See if you can stop the bleeding.

If not, back up your iPad fully, restore it to a pristine state, and check battery drain. If it's still draining the battery profusely, then Apple needs to take a look at it.

4. waveydavey13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to say its a 32gb wifi only model. iCloud is turned off too.

As I did say in my original post though we have no push notifications enabled as anything that we want notifications for we use our iPhones for. Also we always close down all running apps before leaving it in sleep mode.

Basically nothing is running be it apps, iCloud or notifications when the device is in sleep mode yet the battery is still draining by the amounts I mentioned before which seems more than it should be doing.

Cheers

Dave.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

apple stated 10 hours of usage..

%10 a hour is right at 10 hours of usage.

turn your brightness down to %60 and you will see much better resutles

6. waveydavey13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brightness is already at 40-50% and on autodim.

How would this affect the amount of battery usage in sleep mode though????? :confused:

Cheers

Dave.

7. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

100%/10% = 10, 10 hours, sounds about right to me!

8. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

It stated 10 hours of usage; not 10 hours of standby. On standby it should typically last significantly longer than 10 hours. Especially with all of the features turned off that the OP said.

OP: As has been said, try to do a complete restore, if that doesn't resolve it, then it might be worth a genius bar trip.

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Op stated %10-15 loss while browsing. Idk using safari was sleep mode..

10. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have you cycled the battery yet?

Further tips from Apple: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

11. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

thats my fault. i thought you were referencing the sleep drop. yeah 10-15% is a little steep but its about right.
    my bad :eek:

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

You're good hommie I coulda been more clear