Do I have a Keylogger in Snow Leopard/Firefox?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by duggram, Dec 23, 2009.

1. duggram macrumors 6502

duggram

For more than a month now I've noticed that when I type Firefox there's a hesitation before the type shows on screen. The delay is not consistent and is variable. Some times I have to wait for as many as 5 letters to show up. Then it types okay for 20 characters. This started after installing SL. BTW the only sites I visit are forums, news and ESPN. I don't download attachments or questionable software.

I just noticed that this only happens when typing in Firefox. Textedit and Word work without a problem. Is there a problem with Firefox?

Any suggestions on what I should do about this?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use safari.

Also google to see if such a program/plugin exists for firefox. I would assume firefox would have a plug-in folder probably in the ~/Library folder, check that out, or at the very least purge every reference of Firefox from your computer and reinstall - see if that helps.

Check out your login items in the preference pane but also /Library/StartupItems as well.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Highly doubt it's a keylogger if it only happens in FF.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Highly doubt it's a key logger. It could potentially be related to a Firefox addon, or it could be related to ill-written JavaScript on a site that's trying to run when you're typing. I've seen this same behavior on the rare occasion, but it's not often.

5. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I noticed similar slow keystrokes in firefox. That was beacuse of high CPU load (in my case a program running in vmware that sucked up all system resources). Check the activity monitor if any other process is taking up a lot of CPU time on your system.

6. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

I get the same thing sometimes with FireFox as well.

I put it down to a bit of CPU lag. Hopefully an update to FireFox will sort it out.