Do I have a Mac virus or something?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dbernie41, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I just got my first Mac (MBP) in early december and lately all of the sudden during no specific event a file called "log" will download and its only 1kb but I have no idea what it is or what its for and it definately hasnt been doing this the whole time I have had my mac. And I have been getting more freeze ups in Safari and iWeb lately and sometimes when I close my comp for it to sleep it wont wake back up and I have to shut it off. I ran software update yesterday so everything is 100% up to date. Any suggestions?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

First, I doubt seriously that you have a virus, as there's no current Mac viruses in the wild.

The Mac will log many events, it would help if you posted the contents of the logfile so we had an idea of what was writing to it.

Freezes in Safari & iWeb could be a number of issues. How much RAM is in the Mac? What other apps are running?

3. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont know what to open the log with. In my stack it just shows up at a blank white page and doesnt have any kind of file extension. And its only 1kb.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You aren't surfing espn.com are you? Everytime I've gone to espn.com for the last couple of days a file called log has been downloaded.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

FYI, file extensions are meaningless in a MacOS environment. Any log file should open with TextEdit.

6. dbernie41 thread starter macrumors regular

textedit will open but its just blank

I will try that espn thing... I do go on there a decent amount but i am usually on multiple sites at once so I will keep an eye out for that