Do I have a santa rosa/penryn?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by live4soccer7, Dec 2, 2011.

1. live4soccer7 macrumors newbie

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products:

3. live4soccer7 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I don't have a santa rosa/penryn processor? I looked up the info, check the link in the first post. It doesn't appear that I do and am more so looking for that confirmation since I am not too familiar with the differences. I appreciate the responses thus far.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Go to the Apple menu > about this Mac > more info and the second line will identify your MacBook. You should have a MacBook 2,1. Santa Rosa's are 3,1 and Penryn 4,1.

The cable you linked to is for the MacBook 1,1 and 2,1 models but that price is crazy - now you know what you are looking for (4 wall) have a look on eBay !!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A Santa Rosa platform can have a Merom processor (MacBook 2,1 or 3,1) or a Penryn processor. (MacBook 4,1 or 5,1 or 5,2 or 6,1 or 7,1)

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

A MacBook 3,1 per the System Profiler is known as a MacBook Santa Rosa by everybody (apart from you, apparently).

There is nothing wrong with what I said - why are you trying to confuse the issue ?

The thread starter is looking for an inverter cable and there are 2 different parts - one fits the MacBook 1,1 and 2,1 (the one he needs) and the one that fits the 3,1 and 4,1 MacBooks (which iFixit refers to as the Santa Rosa and Penryn models - which won't fit).

I don't imagine that the thread starter is particularly interested in a discussion on the many Intel processors and architectures used in the various MacBooks.

What you posted does not help him choose the correct cable - or did you miss the point of the original post and just want to show off your lack of knowledge on the subject......

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Both the Merom and Penryn CPUs are in Santa Rosa platform MacBooks. I simply stated facts. I'm knowledgeable enough not to confuse the name of a platform with the name of a processor. :rolleyes:

8. nicklad, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

nicklad macrumors 6502

There's everything wrong with confusing the platform with the processor architecture. Ironically, you're helping to confuse the issue for others. ;)

For platforms, the precursor to Santa Rosa is Napa.

For processor architectures, the precursor to Penryn is Merom.

The Merom processors first used the Napa platform, then switched to using the enhanced Santa Rosa platform.

The Penyrn processors still use the Santa Rosa platform.

It's really not too complicated, hopefully, but I can see how it's easy to confuse the two, certainly when others before have misused the terms! :)