Do I have a "Universal" Apple Dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Azzin, May 11, 2012.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Folks,

I want to dock my iPhone 4, but it's got a bumper on it and it appears that you need the Apple "Universal" dock.

As I understood it, the universal dock was the one with the Line Out connection on the back-or did I dream that?

Now then, I have 2 of those docks (with the Line Out) and while the phone fits into both, it appears that the actual Dock Connector is too short for an i4 with a Bumper on, as there's no syncing/charging taking place when I dock it.

The phone also doesn't seem overly secure in the docks, as there's a fair bit of forward & backward movement when it's in the dock.

What do I have/need? :confused:

Cheers.

[Edit] - Here's a pic of my dock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

This is a universal dock. I have the same one and it works with an apple bumper installed. It does have forward/backward movement though since nothing is securing it.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, but obviously it's not what I need to dock my i4 with it's bumper on!

What the hell do I need? :confused:

4. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Read my edit. You can get a radtech dock extender maybe?

5. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Weird.

It's as if the connector isn't deep enough and while it obviously goes into the iPhone, the top isn't making contact to charge/sync (that applies to the 2 Universal Docks I have).

6. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Official Apple Bumper (black).

Purchased in an Apple store in NYC.

7. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Should work no problem. I had this exact same setup for quite some time.

8. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Not for me, nothing happens when I dock my phone...

And yes, the dock lead is connected to the rear of the dock! :D

----------

Maybe I just need to get one of these:

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-30-...otn=21&pmod=251029119024&ps=54#ht_1714wt_1416

[Edit] - Actually, scrub that-it would make the phone way to wobbly in the dock.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You do not have a universal dock. The universal dock is universal because it uses swappable trays for the different devices out there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1380
    [​IMG]

Your dock doesn't use trays. Line out doesn't make a dock universal. It's just a common audio output jack.

The universal dock would probably work for you if you used it without a tray. It would effectively raise the dock connector. My wife used one with her Case Mate case.

10. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

11. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

It is not a universal dock. Those have an extra ridge with which to secure the inlays. This dock does not have that.

However, it does indeed look very similar so this dock was designed to go with one of the older really huge storage capacity iPods. I'm thinking the 60GB iPod Photo or something.

Which means that it'll probably fit a bulky iPhone case (though not necessarily also bring the dock connector out to its counterpart), but since it was designed for iPods rather than iPhones it will likely cause interference on its line out port when the phone is connected to the GSM network.