Do I have a virus? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by texasmac76, Dec 13, 2014.

1. texasmac76 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am using an early Macbook Pro with all updates. This morning the cursor started doing funny things along with the mouse. Restarted and still having the same problem. Restored from a month back. Still having the same problem.
    How can I clean the computer. I thought the mac was virus free in its operation.
    Any help is appreciated. I did open an email but didn't click on anything then deleted it.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Other than the cursor acting funny, what evidence do you have that makes you think you have one?

What exactly is the cursor doing? What type of mouse it is? Is it wireless and is the battery charged up or fresh?

You can use ClamXav to check your machine for malicious software to be sure if you're in doubt.

3. Nails1 macrumors newbie

How old is your Mac? Just wondering because I have seen a few threads with strange trackpad issues occurring because of an old, swelled battery.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What kind of "funny things"?

It would be good to give specific details about what is going on with your Mac, so that you can get the help you seek.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

6. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

The cursor moves randomly around with out my touching the mouse. The screen on safari will get larger then not be able to put back in the original size.I am using an early 2013 Macbook using the latest update to Yosemite. I am using the wireless apple mouse...latest one. I have downloaded the free apple scanning software that was suggested and am about to run it. As I am typing this the screen gets zoomed in and then put back to original size.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It sounds like a problem with the mouse. Try unpairing it, and use the trackpad only. Does it still exhibit the problem?

The Safari window zooming probably has to do with typing while the cursor is moving around, executing the zoom feature because OS X thinks it's what you want to do.

8. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I tried that just now....still does it with the mouse disconnected.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In that case, it's the trackpad that is messing up. I'd take it into an Apple Store for a warranty repair.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Did you turn on any of the accessibility features? If not, double-check the settings as it sounds like you may have turned on a setting accidentally.

11. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

No Accessibility has been changed...checked that just now

12. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also,
    Strangely all of the queries asking for icloud password, itunes password etc. came up but I close each one with no reply. That really clues me in something is amiss...also it happened a second time shortly after.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No OS X malware that exists in the wild will produce the symptoms you're experiencing. When troubleshooting problems on OS X, malware is the least likely possibility to consider, not the first. It is extremely rare for an average Mac user to ever encounter OS X malware, unless you're doing foolish things like installing pirated software.

14. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not downloaded any pirated or loaded any pirated software. I use only commercial software. I have not done any alterations to my macbook. I opened a simple bible verse email that I did NOT subscribe to which is suspicious. I did not click on any part of the email or download anything from it. I have been using my mac for a couple of hours this morning with no issues til this email....That is why I think it could be a malware or viral attack...I have NEVER had any problems with this mac or the brand new one I use at School.

STILL ...any help would be appreciated.

PS the computer has not been moved, bumped or in any way had anything happen to it that would cause any problem...

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You think wrong. There is no such thing as an OS X virus in the wild. They simply don't exist. If you did not install anything, then you simply do NOT have any malware on your computer. Read the links I posted to learn about OS X malware and how to avoid it.

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If your MBP has a removeable battery, check that it isnt bulging, and pressing up on the backside of the trackpad.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In addition to what GGJ says, even if that email you clicked on were malicious, you would have to have had granted permission to run whatever software was trying to infect your Mac, with your admin password.

18. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

So after I let it sit off for a few minutes and then re start it no problems. If the problems start up again in a few minutes of being on does that mean that there is a physical problem be it battery or something else?

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, we're all thinking there is a hardware problem here and not a software or malware issue.

20. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

What kind of power supply are you using? Does it behave this way on battery power alone?

Do you feel a faint "hum" if you lightly drag your fingers along the palm rest (not the trackpad)

A leaky power supply can cause this sort of behavior, particularly the "meandering mouse cursor".

21. texasmac76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to finish up on this. I did unplug the power supply and the problem seems to have disappeared. I replugged it back in and will see if the problem returns. Weird problem if that is it. I come from a PC world and the mac world is so much better to me that I just could not see the different things to try.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help

22. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'd go with a swelling battery effecting the trackpad. That is what happened with the misses' 2008 MBP. Replaced the battery and it's now "virus free" ;)

23. Harry Muff macrumors regular

Trackpads go nuts when they are about to die. I had to replace my wife's 2011 13" one a couple of years back because the same thing happened.

It's a cheap and easy replacement, just remember to get the tri-wing screwdriver with it.

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have an update on the trackpad issue since yesterday?