Do i have a virus on my Powerbook G4? PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kennybrosif, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Kennybrosif macrumors newbie

So i have been having major problems with my powerbook G4. I know its old but its been good to me. Until recently when all of a sudden it would switch the date and time to a random date in 1969. It also will not connect to the internet by means of ethernet cable or airport. Just so you know i have used a torrent site, but only 2-3 times download a song or two. If you know anyway that i can fix this or anything that can help, that would be great.

Thanks so much,
    Kenny

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no viruses for OS X. There are only trojans but those you have to install and insert your admin's password.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the time and date change could point to a dying or dead pram battery
    the networks problems could possibly be solved by a permission repair (that helped on my ibook when i just could not get the airport express card to connect to my router)
    on the other hand some powerbooks had some problems like failing ram slots and some problems with the airport express failing , but that would be the worst case scenario depending which size screen ( because unlike in the iBooks apple did not consider to get the airport card fitted userfriendly in the PowerBooks )

4. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Any time that's ever happened to my old macs it's the PRAM battery, most of the time those can be replaced via eBay for under $10.

5. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

PRAM battery. The problem connecting to the internet is a result of the fact your PRAM battery is dead...the computer actually thinks it's in 1969.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Unix time starts 00:00:00 January 1st 1970, with your timezone (UTC-X) that equals 31th December 1969.

But anyways, your PRAM (Parameter RAM, one of the parameters is the time) battery is dead.
    You didn't state which kind of PowerBook G4 you have, so pick the guide to replace the battery yourself: Titanium or Aluminum.

7. Kennybrosif thread starter macrumors newbie

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

For clarity for those reading this later, this should be Airport Extreme, not Express. Express is an external mini-router that gets plugged into a wall, Extreme is the internal card.

I'm sure this was simply a mixup, so I wanted to clarify.