Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anneshirley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
I'm new to Apple Mac so apologize in advance for using incorrect terminology. Since yesterday when I signed on to OkCupid, I'm getting what I believe is Apple's "hourglass" icon (round various colored circle) which I can't get rid of (and can't do anything) until I shut down and restart computer. It's happened today on other sites as well. It takes over my computer. Is this a virus? Does anyone know, and if so, how can I get rid of it?

Thanks for help.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
It's not a virus since u can't get one on macs. Maybe someone else can fill u in on what the actual problem is.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Sounds like the site has something on it that your browser isn't happy with. It doesn't sound like anything malicious, just maybe a crappy web site.

It may be a Flash-based ads on the page that's crashing the browser or something else. Have you tried accessing the site in another browser?

Also let us know what browser and version you're using. If you're having trouble closing an application hit command+option+esc. This will bring up a Force Quit Applications window. From here you can chose the problematic app and Force Quit it. This should hopefully keep you from needing to reboot in order to recover.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm new to Apple Mac so apologize in advance for using incorrect terminology. . . . I'm getting what I believe is Apple's "hourglass" icon (round various colored circle)

Commonly called the spinning beach ball

Hour glasses are not typically round. ;)

With more info, as requested above, you'll get more help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.