Do I Have A Virus?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fastlanephil, Apr 30, 2014.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

When I try to go to a site that uses Adobe Flash I guess, a warning alert pops up saying that I need to update adobe flash. You have to click OK which takes you to a Page that looks like a Windows installer as it is exe or you're taken to an Adobe page. You can cancel out of there but the alert always shows up, blocking you from the site you want to go to. These are major mainstream news site!

I don't believe that IOS even supports Flash so what is going on? Is it an infection?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, you do not have a virus. What you have is "no flash". It is a very good thing to not have.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Which major news site is this that doesn't have an iPad version of its website? I find it hard to believe that this site is really mainstream.

4. fastlanephil, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Fox News, The Washington Post, The LA Times, The Weekly Standard, News Max and others.

It seems to be originating from Facebook.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are no viruses in the wild that can affect your iPad or iPhone. You're visiting a site that requires Flash, so there is a redirection to the Adobe site to install it. You can't install Flash on your iOS device. If you visited that site on a Mac, rather than follow the links to install Flash, you're safer by going directly to the Adobe site to download and install it. Some such popup ads could redirect you to a non-Adobe site where you think you're downloading Flash, but are also downloading a Trojan. Always get software from developer sites or from trusted sources, such as the App Store.

6. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I know all this. I have been using these sites with my iPad for the last Five months. This is a recent issue.

My Macs are all up to date with the latest Flash. There is something going on here that is preventing me from accessing these sites with the iPad. I suspect that this is a ruse aimed at Windows but regardless it's blocking me from using my iPad.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

> Something wrong with web browsing on iPad.
    > Suspects Windows to be the cause.

Woot!? :confused:

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I read articles at Fox News, Washington Post and LA Times all the time on my iPad, and never had this problem you are describing. Sure, there are some multimedia articles here and there that don't work because they require flash, but most articles work. You make it sound like the entire site isn't usable. Perhaps you can post a URL that is giving you this problem?

9. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I just installed a IOS update which has a security update also and the issue seems to be gone now.

It looks like the rues was trying to direct me to my Box Or Dropbox files to access them.

10. AddisonIII macrumors regular

No problems with news sights

The OP has me wondering just why he is having these issues if no virus is possible. I know that Apple says it's not possible and I have not ever had the issues he speaks and I spend hours most days reading from the same News sights. Have you jail break your iPad ? If not I also would like to know why he or she is experiencing this problem. As with anything else, I can't help but think sooner or later someone will find a way for a virus to happen.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, people have found ways for viruses to be possible on the iPad -- they are known as "jailbreaks." ;) It's just that nobody has taken advantage of jailbreaks yet to widely distribute viruses on iPads. Partly because the jailbreaking community itself defends against it, partly because Apple is fairly diligent at closing any jailbreaking exploits, and maybe because not enough people jailbreak their iOS devices for viruses to spread as much as they do on desktops.

The point is that enabling viruses on iOS requires much more sophisticated methods than writing viruses for Windows or the Mac.

12. kaielement macrumors 65816

13. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

What ever it was it managed to access my Mac Mini and trashed the desktop. I found a unknown file in my Dropbox folder. The fonts and icons are all messed up. I'm reinstalling Mavericks via Apple online.

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Have you tried clearing your browsing data and history?

Seems like a long shot, but I too browse the web and never have these kinds of issues on my iPad.

15. fastlanephil, May 2, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I do that all the time. No problem on my iPad now. It's my Mac Mini that's messed up now.

I'll take it over to the Mac Mini forum.

Update

The Mac Mini issue turned out to be monitor related.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No, it's blocking you from using those sites.

17. shunn macrumors newbie

Some times this occurs if your time and date are wrong on your iPad.Correct this and it should work.