Do I have ADD ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fab5freddy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I have a hard time concentrating in longer periods of time,
    with reading and computer work.
    I am not sure whether i have ADD or not ?

Is there any way to tell, and is there anything you can do about it ?
    Are there any others out there who can recognize this ?

FF

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

With that in mind I can say I think your best bet is to talk to a counselor at your school and see if you can get tested, which is the best way to find out. You may not have full blown ADD but you might have mild ADD. Getting tested really is the best way to find out.

Good luck

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Talk to a counsellor.

I have never met someone who said they didn't have ADD when all it is is normal inattention.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not sure you can diagnose this by yourself. I agree with the others, talk with your counselor, or perhaps your doctor.

It's also best not to tiptoe around it - if you do have ADD or some other type of disorder, it won't get better until you're able to confront it and get help for it.

Good luck!

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

no,

you're just lazy. ADD is an excuse for people who can't function normally due to a poor attitude.

not trying to strike a nerve here,

but if you can sign online, open safari, goto MR, find the right forum and post this thread... and ask OTHER people if you have ADD... then chances are you don't have it.

there are only serious cases of ADD - and unless you want to pay $$ per month to get medicine to help you act as you should, then just settle for trying harder.

sometimes work can feel like you're beating yourself up. and it gets hard. you just gotta man up sometimes ya know!

don't take any offense to this i'm just stating my opinion.

6. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

7. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

no thats not add, add is u get distracted 4 everythng, like lets say u start typing and hear a fly ull be like focused on the fly, u keep switching

8. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I think I have ADD...but my parents don't listen. Nice. It gets annoying having to reread a body of text 2-3 times before I can comprehend it. No matter what the subject matter is.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll make this short just in case you do have ADD. Don't seek medical advice online let alone a mac forum. ;). Go see your counselor or family doctor.

10. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Are you 12?

ADD is a medical condition, which causes problems for the folks who really have it.

I'm not saying the OP has it, but, no offense, you can cram your medical advice.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Exactly. It's a real condition.

However, don't just believe it's ADD just because you can't pay attention. That's just silly. It's like saying you have depression just because you've been depressed for the last few weeks. Everyone gets depressed, but it's not necessarily depression. Same with ADD.

Like I and several other people have said already, see a counsellor or psychologist. ;)

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Everyone has ADD to a certain extent. I was diagnosed with ADD a long time but now that I'm older, I'm growing out of it.

I recommend you go see a shrink so you can be properly diagnosed.

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

You are SO SO SO wrong! I have wanted to be a physician for a long time, but it seemed like no matter how hard I tried to study and focus on my school work, I just couldn't do it. I really, really wanted to and I tried everything. Coffee, getting a good night sleep, studying in a quiet place - literally everything. Nothing worked. My grades were average (2.8 GPA), but I always had very high test scores and a high ACT score. I'm smart, but I couldn't focus on studying. It was destroying me emotionally.

I saw a psychiatrist and who diagnosed me with ADD. After I told him what I was going through, he asked "What took you so long?" After starting medication to treat my ADD, my GPA is up to a 4.0 and I'm much, much happier. I actually have a real chance at getting into the medical college that I want to.

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Glad to hear you are doing so well for yourself :).

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then perhaps you were misdiagnosed? :confused: I believe it's due to a lower level of some neuro-chemical, so I don't think it's supposed to go away.

Sounds good. :)

I almost quit high school, and now I have submitted my PhD and in the process of graduating. Go figure. :p