Do I have an LED backlit screen now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewfee, Feb 21, 2008.

1. andrewfee macrumors 6502

I just got my MacBook Pro back from repair yesterday - it went in as the Superdrive was just spitting discs out, and the screen was developing bright spots. (around the same size as the mouse cursor, so it wasn't pixel problems)

I wasn't sure if they'd replace the screen or not (it wasn't a major problem yet) but they did anyway, and I've noticed that when the screen is tilted back, it goes very green/yellow now. The light that is cast onto the keyboard in a dark room is also green/yellow rather than white.

When turning the backlight on, it now wipes across the screen, rather than gradually getting brighter:

http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF9395.MP4

So, does that mean I got a free upgrade to an LED backlit screen? (should have better battery life, and dim much less over time, right? that was a real problem with my Powerbook)

2. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

If you're talking about a powerbook then no.

Even if it's a NON SR MacBook Pro then still no.

The ribbon cables are different.

3. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

You cannot be upgraded to a LED-backlit screen, you either have one or you don't, and you cannot change it from one way to the other.

4. andrewfee thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know, thanks. I wonder what's causing it to wipe on like that then, I've never seen a regular LCD do it, so I assumed it was LED backlighting.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If they're the same size, why couldn't I swap them myself though?

6. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

:rolleyes:
    Like I originally said, different ribbon cables.

They LED screen's ribbon cable will not physically fit. And if you're talking about a powerbook compared to a macbook pro they are not the same size.

7. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

The cables connecting the screen to the logic board are different. It's a whole different kettle of bananas, if you will.

8. andrewfee thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a 2.33GHz MacBook Pro I've got (back when that was the top spec) I just mentioned the Powerbook, because its screen got dim after a very short period of time, and if this is CCFL then it'll happen to this too.

My old screen measured ~190cd/m2 at max backlight, and the new one is 240cd/m2, so I guess it had already dropped by that much.

9. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

If it is a 2.33 it is not a Santa Rosa model meaning you do not have an LED backlit LCD.