Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcin0903

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Hi I am just restoring my iMac from TimeMachine (MyBook World Edition, btw. it is really sllllooooow..), and I am wondering if after restore I would have exactly the same, I mean icons in dock, shortcuts, settings, time machine config (including access to previous back ups and its single files)...?

Caleb531

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
It should; every one of the examples you mentioned rely on are saved in files which TM backs up (unless you excluded a containing folder).

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Although I have never needed to do a Time Machine restore yet (knock on wood), it should restore all your files and settings to that of the date of the backup.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Yes, Time Machine will restore everything perfectly just as it was before.

A few weeks ago, I restored my MBP using the disk that came with the computer. I decided that I wanted to restore all my files and settings from an iMac that I sold back in December. I was able to restore everything from apps like Photoshop and everything I had downloaded during the time I owned the imac. Even files I had in the trash can were still there that I didn't empty yet.

Try it, it works great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.