Do I have leopard??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ruane89, Jan 21, 2008.

1. ruane89 macrumors member

i looked at my laptops info and it says i have ac OSX 10.5, is this leoprd???

2. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

one for thing, i bought the 2.2ghz with 120gb harddrive mode but its saying i only have 93gb left, is this normal?

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Why yes, it is.

Edit: Redundant answer to GimmeSlack12.

Yes, but you can reinstall OS X from the disks and remove all the language support and additional printer drivers to free up several GB, probably at least 5-8. Also remember a 120 GB drive really has about 111 available, due to the 1000->1024 conversion, and file structure of a formatted drive.

4. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

so the other 20gb is the operating systems and drivers??

5. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Mostly. Garageband loops and iMovie templates and such take up a couple GBs as well. I say take those off if you know you wont be using them.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

18GB or so. Yes. Like I said, put in the restore disk that came with it (hopefully you don't have any data on it yet, if so back up), and then reinstall 10.5 including the iLife software from the disks using the clean install option that wipes the drive, but uncheck all the additional languages unless you see yourself needing to boot into one oneday. Also uncheck all the printer drivers since you can always install the latest driver of the printer(s) you use. Also a good idea to uncheck all the Additional Language Fonts, which unless you plan to run it in English but also need to type in Chinese etc, you don't need, and lastly if you do or don't plan to use Garageband, you can uncheck all the loops or whatever it is that is there that is significant. All that can free up 5-10 GB or more. I freed up about 6 or 7 on my iMac removing everything but keeping all the iLife stuff including the Garageband data and iDVD themes and such since I use those.

7. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

right say if i uninstall some things like garbage band does that mean if i want it in the future that i have to wipe and install everything again or can i just install from the disk??

8. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

you should be able to install it from the disk directly

9. theman macrumors 6502a

yes. just pop in the disk, and select "install other software" from the menu.

Personally, I did a clean install (formatted the drive), and got rid of extra languages, printer drivers, and chose only to install iTunes and iPhoto, leaving out Garageband, iMovie, iDVD, and iWeb, because I won't use those. If I someday decide I want them, I'll just install them. It saved me a lot of space.

10. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

right so how do i actually do this??
    everything seems ok but this one button and no touch for a duble click is bit annoying!

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you want to do an easy "right-click", go to your System Preferences and then to the Mouse/Keyboard option. Next, select the Trackpad tab and then check the checkbox that says something about the right-click (I'm not on my Macbook Pro so I don't know exactly how it's worded). What this does is allow you to put 2 fingers on the trackpad and then click and it will perform a right-click.

I really hope that's what you were talking about when you said "...this one button thing...".

12. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

im acually referring to the track pad normally on my last laptop i only had to duble touch the pad and it acted as a click

13. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

You can go to the Mouse settings and change it to make double-tapping a double-click.

14. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

got it working, just need someone to tell me how to format my harddrive

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

when you insert the disk, and go through the installer just check the clean install option. Prior to that it will have you boot off the DVD as part of the installer. If you really want to get crazy about it, in the menu at the top, prior to installing, but after it reboots, you can use the disk utility on the installer disk to format the drive, but seriously it is not necessary. Just do a clean install.

16. ruane89 thread starter macrumors member

will a cean install wipe my harddrive and install again??

17. uNext macrumors 6502

With every new computer purchase the first thing i do is
    reinstall the OS.

I remove everything and leave the base configuration (no ilife,no printer drivers, no language support, etc)

Since i use lightroom for photos, final cut hd for movies & i have drivers on a cd for my printer or i can just download it from the manufacturers website if needed.

You dont need 100+ printer drivers or 100+ language support files when your only going to use 1 or 2 depending on your native tongue.

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I understand your need for doing this (and others who know what they're doing). But I consider this ill advice for new users. Generally cause I think they confuse this will trial ware removal on PC's. Slimming down the install is cool and all, but for new Mac users who've never used the pre-installed software (i.e. iLife), it is likely misunderstood.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree and for the same reasons... I would never tell a new user that they should do a clean install of the OS.

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

He seemed really concerned about the space. And I would only advise a new user comfortable enough with computers in general and would always steer them towards leaving iLife on, only dumping the Language/Print Driver stuff. It is rather significant after all.

On that note this guy did seem a bit confused, but that maybe just a lack of familiarity with the Apple way of doing things.

21. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah thats more my point than computer illiteracy.
    Aside from the GB's taken by OS X, there is always the hard drive misunderstanding regarding stated capacity and actual capacity. For the OP, you have a stated 120 gb, but only about 112 gb is what that means.

(120 x 10e9)/(1024^3) = 111.76 Gb

EDIT: I realize you already mentioned this Roland