Do I have malware?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kan-O-Z, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

When turning on my 2.2 SR MBP and logging into my account there was a window that popped up asking that items need to access login keychain. I have never seen this before. I wish I would have read the message a little more carefully but I simply put in the admin name and password and it's working ok. I then tried to run Activity Monitor and it would start but no window would display until I clicked on it again. Wierd. Also it seem that booting my MBP has been getting longer...about 40 seconds. After logging back out and in, things seem a bit more normal.

What do you guys think could have happened? Do you think when I entered in the password, it could have been malware trying to access something?

Kan-O-Z

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You can run macscan and iantivirus if you want to check for malware and trojans.

You should download onyx and do all the system maintenance tasks in there to cure your caids (computer aids) infection. You should be good to go after a few hours of tests and tasks.

3. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Do you know if any of the antivirus/malware type programs are system hogs. I do not want processes running in the background or hogging up system resources. The last thing I want is a slow Mac ;)

Kan-O-Z

4. Kan-O-Z thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way I have never heard of the term caids? Is that the same thing as malware/trojans/keyloggers? How good is onyx? I don't want some software that might mess up the computer either.

Kan-O-Z

5. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Onyx is the best system maintenance tool around. "CAIDS" is a cynical term for general computer sickness or sluggishness. None of the Mac antivirus software that I've used is resource intensive; I have a Santa Rosa MBP too and the only thing that will make it slow is crappy software like Adium spamming the system log.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Most likely it's not malware. If this happened to me and I was unsure (which has never happened), to feel confident I'd rather restore my system from a backup (or reinstall) & update keychain passwords rather than bothering with programs that contribute toward bogging down the system and don't offer 100% certainty that the problem (if there is one) is resolved.

Also, you might get more advice from the OS X section as this issue is not really hardware dependent.