Do I have spyware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Drtydzn12, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Drtydzn12 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is my first mac, with that being said, I am scared thinking I have spyware. Just browsing on myspace, I get a pop up that says all the usual bs "warning you have a virus scan this scan that blah blah blah" i cancel, then the browser goes to a page of what looks like a windows "my computer" screen.

a second popup comes simultaneously, with the only option being "OK". i hit escape, the page goes back to myspace. this is the first time it ever happened to me, do i have spyware?

sorry if my english is terrible, i live in hawaii and we got this slang called pidgin, so yeah. haha.

thanks for the help guys!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Pop-up advertisement, nothing more I presume.

Don't worry.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yup, nothing more than pop-up ads. Though I'd think the browser's pop-up blocker should stop those. Make sure it's in enabled in your browser so you can void most of those.

4. raygungirl macrumors member

raygungirl

Your English sounds 100% a-ok to me. Although, I am an American. ;)

Definitely just a pop-up. If you're using Firefox, Adblock Plus might help, too. I've only recently been using it and I always wonder why it took me so long to install it, because it's great.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

6. dandaman2 macrumors regular

iAntiVirus

Agreed, just pop ups. Though, another macrumors forums user tipped me off to a little app called iAntiVirus. I don't keep it running all to time because between all my other utilities, I don't have the extra memory, and I use safe web practices anyway. But, every month or so, I use that program to do a full scan just to be extra sure.