Do I have the wifi issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stonyboys, Oct 20, 2012.

1. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Just got my phone today and it looked flawless until I used speedtest just now. I have a 50 Mbps Internet plan so these speeds seem unrealistically slow. Do I have the wifi issue or is this normal?

Attached Files:

2. stonyboys thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Do you have another iOS device to run the same test. Also does your wifi router broadcast in dual band 2.4 and 5 Ghz?

4. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Try rebooting your router, and reset network settings on the phone, then reconnect manually to your wifi. If you're still having problems you likely do have an issue, probably an incompatability between the router and phone. My belief is most of these issues can and will be fixed in an update.

5. stonyboys thread starter macrumors 6502

The only other iOS device I have is an iPhone 3G, is that too old for the tests to be relavant? And I have no idea what my router broadcasts, its the router/modem combo machine that shaw gave me.
    I speedtested this morning and I got around 25 mpbs, which is what I expect. But I just speedtested again and it's back to being around 4, the highest being around 8. Does this mean anything? Also whats most important to me is whether or not this is a hardware issue, is there any chance of that?

6. stonyboys thread starter macrumors 6502

7. stonyboys thread starter macrumors 6502

8. darster Suspended

The combo router/modems are notoriously crappy. Get a seperate router, hook up to modem and turn off the wifi router on modem.

9. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Sure you phone is fine, way to many other factors for it to be your phone.

10. darster Suspended

Not always. My cable company provides me with 50 to 60 Mbs DL speeds. I consistently get those speeds via wifi and also ethernet connections.

11. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I agree. I work for a cable provider and our Gateways suck. The reach is pathetic. Same room, ok, but after that, you won't get good wifi strength. How far are you from the router when you do the test? What does your computer get? Do yourself a favor and get a N router. Just use your current Gateway modem as a bridge. I have the 50 service too and I just got 31.92 mbsp down and 11.69 mbps up on my iPhone 5. I have a standard Netgear router I got from the cable company when they were suppling them for free.

12. smotania macrumors member

smotania

Most likely the problem is with the router ... Probably its support on b and g standards and i dont think its a issue cuz probably u r not downloadin movies from your phone right ? 4-8 mbps its more than enough for phone :) if u have the same score with your computer u definetly have to change ur router ;) good luck

13. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Yeah but we cant single out the phone. We don't know too much about the situation. Could be the phone could be the router/area.

14. darster Suspended

Very true.

15. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I assume your Gateway is a newer DOCSIS 3.0? If it's 2.0, then I think the max you get is 25 down even with a 50 service. But your phone should be getting at least 10-15 even if it was a 2.0 router.