do i have Tiger or Leopard??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lyrikal001, Nov 28, 2007.

1. lyrikal001 macrumors newbie

I know this is probably a stupid question but i am new to mac, i have bought a second hand imac g5 off ebay with a pre-installed os - how do i know if it is leopard os or tiger?

Also, the person who owned this imac last is still listed as the admin, how can i change it from his account to mine? (lucky he hasn't put a password on there though)

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Click on the Apple logo in the top left and choose About this Mac. It will tell you if you have 10.4.x or 10.5.x. 10.4 is Tiger, 10.5 is Leopard.

3. cecoleman macrumors regular

Easier than that, is the menu bar at the top transparent? or Not? If it is, its Leopard...if its not, its Tiger.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

is the apple logo (on the left) on the top menu bar blue or black

blue is tiger

black is leopard

5. milessthomas macrumors newbie

For the account thing. If you just want to start fresh go to system preferences->Accounts. Create a new account, then click the security tab on the new account and checkmark "allow this user to make administrative...(Whatever it says)" then log out of the old acct. Log into your new account and go back to sysprefs->accounts and highlight the old account name and click the minus to delete it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(images via google, sources: de.lbcc.edu, catalyst.washington.edu, and www.welleslet.edu)

6. benolathe macrumors newbie

Thank you for asking - I assumed I had Leopard because I waited until it was released to purchase my MacBook. But alas, I have Tiger. If I remember correctly, there was a Leopard disk in the box, but I assumed that was for back-up purposes in case I had OS problems. Guess I'll pull the disk out and install Leopard tomorrow!

7. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

No

No

No.

All of these things are quick ways of identifying what you have on your Mac, but it sure is not a reliable way of finding out what OS you are running. This is because, in one way or another, they are all customisable.

The quickest, safest and most reliable way is to 'teach' the OP how to find out correctly. The fastest way to do this, whilst being the most reliable is to check the 'About This Mac' option in the Apple Menu.

David

9. felixen macrumors 6502a

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Leopard is the newest version, Mac OS X 10.5. Tiger was the previous version, 10.4. Leopard has a bunch of new features when compared to Tiger, but the difference between the two is less than some of us might like to admit.

11. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Yet they do work to identify the OS.

And how exactly is Time Machine customisable? I'm pretty sure if it was that easy to simply make and add time machine to your laptop there would be a lot more millionaires out there with a lot of versions of TM!

12. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The first post that mentioned TM said to look for it in the dock, as we all know it's easy to delete something from the dock. I think this is what was meant by "customisable"

13. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Ah good point, I din't think of it that way...

I retract my previous comment :)

14. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Not necessarily true. You can enable/disable this in System Preferences. In addition, some Macs, like my old G4 mini, always show an opaque menu bar, even in Leopard.

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You do realize that you're responding to posts made a year and a half ago, right? And I agree, the only reliable way to determine your OS version is with  -> About This Mac.

16. garymitchell911 macrumors newbie

help

how do i find out which i have leopard or tiger here is my problem ned to download safari 4.3 tried leopard told me i needed 10.6 so i checked the apple like everybody tells me and it says 10.6 cant open itunes store as i need safari 4.3 what do i do please help

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

10.6 is Snow Leopard
    10.5 is Leopard
    10.4 is Tiger

In all cases click on the Apple in the menu bar and choose About this Mac

18. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

After you do what the above poster said, make sure you click that apple again and go to Software Update. This will download the newest versions of safari, itunes, whatever it is that you are asking about. If nothing shows up there then you have the most current up to date software.

19. applehead1987 macrumors newbie

Im a new mac user HELP!!!

Ok I have a new MacBook Pro And when lion comes out i want to upgrade. Do I have to take it to best buy because I never upgraded any computer before sorry im not good with system upgrades.

20. np0000000 macrumors newbie

ill answer your question when you make your own thread.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, do not take it to Best Buy. Purchase Lion from the App Store. It'll download an installer to your computer. Double click it and Lion will install. It's very very easy.