Do I have to activate the iPhone if I'm going to cancel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by giulianoaugusto, Jul 9, 2009.

1. giulianoaugusto macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I've read a lot before choosing to buy the new 3G S from AT&T and unlocking but one question still remains...
    If I'm going to cancel after 31 days to unlock and use it outside the US. do I need to activate it when I buy? Or can I just buy it, never activate it and cancel the plan after 1 month? Because my mom's buying it for me in the US and she doesn't have a clue on how to activate it and I've heard people saying you can't even use the features of the phone if you don't activate it.

And If I do have to activate it, can I do it with the AT&T SIM card being outside of the US?

Thanks a bunch you guys!

2. samcraig macrumors P6

what price did you pay for your phone. If it was subsidized, you're most likely going to get hit with a nice little charge from ATT before exiting...

3. giulianoaugusto thread starter macrumors member

havent bought it yet but Im considering buying with the plan, and I do know of all the fees...I just dont know if I can use it or cancel without activating

4. giulianoaugusto thread starter macrumors member

any help is appreciated guys! please let me know what to do! thnx

5. Konz macrumors regular

As far as I know they just automatically charge you an extra $400 (or w/e the difference is) if you buy a subsidized phone and never activate it. You get ~30 days before they charge you.

After that I suppose you still need to pay an early termination fee, but I could be wrong (there may be more fees involved).

6. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

If you buy it at the store they will activate it there.
    If you buy it online then you will have a choice.......
    So if you plan on not activating it, just order it online from Apple.

7. giulianoaugusto thread starter macrumors member

I don't mind the activation per say, is just that my mom doesnt have a clue how to activate it using iTunes so that's why I asked if I can keep it and not activate it...
    Let me try to make it clearer, I think I got you guys confused...

Lets say I sign up and never activate it with iTunes and ATT sim and then when the first month passes and I go to ATT and cancel the plan they'll say something like "But you never even activated it to use" and stuff..

Cuz If I can keep it and pretend that Im using it in the US while I'll be unlocking and using abroad, and then when the time comes I'll cancel the contract with AT&T.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

AT&T subsidizes the iPhone, so that they'll make the money back from the data charges. So, if you don't activate it, you're going to owe all the money for not activating it. It's that simple. The contract says what it says. See the replies above for the money you'll owe.