Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talk2nate43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I've spent the last couple of hours reading about all the claims that AT&T will not let exisiting customers (like myself) purchase the 3G iPhone for the advertised prices of $199/$299 without being upgrade eligible. Well, I just a made a couple of calls to AT&T, the first call being to their national call center. I was told by a CSR guy (who seemed to be pretty confident) that non-upgrade eligible existing AT&T customers will indeed have to pay the "full" price for the iPhone. He said CSRs had yet to be informed on what that "full" price would be. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. So, I decided to call my local AT&T store. I explained to an employee what I had been told by the national CSR. He told me that what the national CSR said has not yet been confirmed by AT&T; he went on to say that AT&T should be releasing some official information about this issue some time mid next week. He said this has been the number one "iPhone 3G question" he's been getting from people all week long.

So here's basically what dissapoints me. I'm a current iPhone customer. I have been upgrade eligible even before I purchased my iPhone last June when it came out. But purchasing the iPhone didn't affect my upgrade eligibility at all. So now at this point, I figured: why don't I go ahead and sell my current iPhone on eBay before the mad rush? Oh, but wait, I still need a cell phone for the interim until July 11. So, I figured, why not take advantage of my upgrade eligibility and get a new phone to use during the interim, and then sell it after I buy the 3G iPhone. Well, I don't know if that's gonna be possible any more. Sadly, I honestly believe that AT&T is only going to let upgrade-eligible customers (aka "qualified customers") purchase the phone at the advertised price. Please let me know if you've heard otherwise.

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
well I did the same thing as you, but I used an old phone I had laying around the house, so it shouldn't have screwed with my eligibility, but no one on this planet really knows, god was at&t unprepared for this, you would think they would have the basic questions answerable

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I've spent the last couple of hours reading about all the claims that AT&T will not let exisiting customers (like myself) purchase the 3G iPhone for the advertised prices of $199/$299 without being upgrade eligible. Well, I just a made a couple of calls to AT&T, the first call being to their national call center. I was told by a CSR guy (who seemed to be pretty confident) that non-upgrade eligible existing AT&T customers will indeed have to pay the "full" price for the iPhone. He said CSRs had yet to be informed on what that "full" price would be. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. So, I decided to call my local AT&T store. I explained to an employee what I had been told by the national CSR. He told me that what the national CSR said has not yet been confirmed by AT&T; he went on to say that AT&T should be releasing some official information about this issue some time mid next week. He said this has been the number one "iPhone 3G question" he's been getting from people all week long.

So here's basically what dissapoints me. I'm a current iPhone customer. I have been upgrade eligible even before I purchased my iPhone last June when it came out. But purchasing the iPhone didn't affect my upgrade eligibility at all. So now at this point, I figured: why don't I go ahead and sell my current iPhone on eBay before the mad rush? Oh, but wait, I still need a cell phone for the interim until July 11. So, I figured, why not take advantage of my upgrade eligibility and get a new phone to use during the interim, and then sell it after I buy the 3G iPhone. Well, I don't know if that's gonna be possible any more. Sadly, I honestly believe that AT&T is only going to let upgrade-eligible customers (aka "qualified customers") purchase the phone at the advertised price. Please let me know if you've heard otherwise.

How are they going to know if you're upgrade eligible when you purchase it??

From what I'm hearing, activation is done through ITunes just like the 2G IPhone... when doing the activation in ITunes, you'll automatically be reup'd for another 2 years...

talk2nate43

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Well, to be honest, I don't know what to think. Like many of you, I'm extremely frustrated with AT&T for not making this clear from the start. I just read this article about an AT&T memo that was leaked today regarding information about iPhone 3G upgrade eligibility:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/12/more.iphone.3g.details/

Okay, for all practical purposes, let's say I can't do what I wanted to do (which I explained in my original post.) Well, if indeed only upgrade eligible existing 2G iPhone customers will be able to buy the 3G iPhone at the advertised price, can I even sell my current iPhone on eBay? In other words, will not having my current iPhone attached to my account disqualify me from receiving the 3G iPhone at the advertised price? Ugghhh, I don't know what to do!!!

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Well, to be honest, I don't know what to think. Like many of you, I'm extremely frustrated with AT&T for not making this clear from the start. I just read this article about an AT&T memo that was leaked today regarding information about iPhone 3G upgrade eligibility:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/12/more.iphone.3g.details/

Okay, for all practical purposes, let's say I can't do what I wanted to do (which I explained in my original post.) Well, if indeed only upgrade eligible existing 2G iPhone customers will be able to buy the 3G iPhone at the advertised price, can I even sell my current iPhone on eBay? In other words, will not having my current iPhone attached to my account disqualify me from receiving the 3G iPhone at the advertised price? Ugghhh, I don't know what to do!!!

If that's the case, just to be safe, you should probably hang onto your IPhone until you at least have the 3G IPhone activated and running.. JMO

patrick92260

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
I unfortunately am with the rest of you who are not eligible to upgrade right now. I do happen to think though that at&t will be accommodating and give the subsidy price to everyone even if it means they were forced to by Apple. (Remember no phone manufacturer in the world has as much pull with these carriers as Apple does.) I feel it is also because when Jobs got up on the stage and announced the new prices, I'm sure he meant it.

If worst comes to worst though, the most you will be paying for the new iPhone is, $375 (8gb) or $475 (16gb) which will cover the phone and the ETF for your current at&t account.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
What is going on.... it doesn't make sense that Apple says the phone is $200 and $300, meanwhile that only applies to people who are eligible to upgrade. If anything, people eligible to upgrade would get it cheaper than that.

I think that if you are not eligible to upgrade you just extend your contract for another 2 years or from the day you purchase, for 2 years from that day.

It just doesn't make sense that the phones would be $375 and $475.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.