do i have to buy EndNote to use citations in Pages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dewthedru, Mar 16, 2014.

1. dewthedru macrumors regular

this is my first experience with Pages and I can't find a way to insert citations. i've tried all of the help instructions but none of them are working. it appears that you can only insert citations using an EndNote library. i really don't want to pay to use EndNote.

if in fact this is the case, i'll just use the free(ish) ms office that my work gives out to employees for their home computers. seems a bit silly but...

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you have access to Word, definitely use that over Pages. It's much better for word processing.

3. dewthedru thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. downloading it right now. just a bit disappointing since i bought the MBP to use for my grad studies and find out that the primary application i thought i'd use is not going to work and i have to use the same program i have on my work laptop. makes me wonder if i should just return the MBP.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can insert endnotes in Pages. Insert > Footnote > Type: Document Endnotes.

Endnotes is an application to keep track of many different endnotes of you were writing something like a bibliography. You don't need it to create a regular endnote.

5. dewthedru thread starter macrumors regular

right. but i am trying to create a works cited pages and note the citations throughout the document.

the insert/endnote citation option is grayed out. and when i change the endnote citation style from annotated to APA, it doesn't save it and return to annotated. not that i'm actually able to use annotated because of the aforementioned problem. :mad: