Do I have to calibrate the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Oyobiia, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Oyobiia macrumors member

Should I calibrate my MacBook's battery. If I don't what will happen?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You don't HAVE to, but its a good idea.

The purpose of doing it is to cycle the battery from top to bottom, letting the built in microprocessor know its range better. The procedure for the Aluminum MB's is quite different from the White/Blackbooks however.

Apple has a KB article detailing how to do it for each model type.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Calibrating the MB's battery is to make the battery healthy and live longer..Apple has an article that talks about it and a list of steps on how you should do it http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Semi-correct on that one. All that calibrating the battery does is give you the most accurate time/capacity readings of the battery. I know people that have never calibrated the battery ever and after one year of use they still get about the same battery life as they used to. On the other hand, I know people that calibrate their battery almost religiously (I used to think and act this way about my battery), and their battery died after the same time period.

Simply put, just use the battery like you think you should, and don't worry so much about "maintaining it", because it might just come back and bite you in the butt.

5. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

That isnt true. It even says on the link you posted "MacBook (all models)"

6. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

I do that for mine about once every few months