Do I HAVE to calibrate the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sankersizzle, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hi all, I've been meaning to calibrate my computer for some time now, but it seems like a wee hassle. I ask you this: must I calibrate my battery? Will it in any way affect my battery life during one cycle? What about the overall life of the battery in terms of number of cycles?

I did a search but it brought up a helpful battery FAQ, but it never addressed whether or not it was BAD for your battery to not calibrate it. I assume it is because so many people seem to stress out about it, and that bothers me, haha. Thanks!

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

If youre the type of person who leaves your laptop plugged in all the time, you should calibrate the battery every month or two (Apple officially recommends every month), otherwise you wont get any battery life. If you use the battery regularly, dont worry about it.

3. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

what if i run it down to 20 percent once a week? that's what i do now that i'm home from school, i'm sure during the school year it's going to get a solid battery workout. thanks!

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Im not an expert here but I think that would be fine, though I would still advise you to calibrate before going on a long trip or something.

5. elleana macrumors regular

Doesn't apple also recommend you do it even if you use the battery regularly?

6. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I would not worry too much about calibrating the battery. What this does is just give a more acurate reading so that you can know approx. how much time is left to use the battery before a recharge.

I recommend sometime when you can get your battery at 10% or a little lower, just calibrate it at night before you go to bed and it will be done and ready in the morning.

I have read that if you do this too much it is not good for the battery and normally it is best to try to charge the battery at no lower than 25-30%.

I am not an expert on this but that is how I have used my MBP and so far it works great and gives a good read on the battery.

7. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

hey everyone, thanks for the input. i decided to calibrate anyways. i'm at 2% battery right now, actually. haha. one more thing, the power adapter got yanked out while it was in the "rest at 100%" for about 50 seconds. does that invalidate my calibration? because if it did, i will cry. i've been playing counterstrike for 3 hours to try and kill this battery! :D

8. demonsavatar macrumors regular

I know a lot of people try to just run down their battery as fast as possible when they do their calibration runs. I would recommend just using it normally till it dies. Wearing down a battery faster is worse for it in the long run. If you only do it once a month no biggie, but if you are OCD about your battery life then you will just use your laptop normally during a calibration run down until it dies.

Might just be me but I feel that gives a more accurate reading if I calibrate with real-life usage :p

9. Pax macrumors 6502a

Calibration is almost entirely about making the on screen displays more accurate. It doesn't actually affect the capacity of the battery.

I never calibrate my Macs (I can't be bothered) and most of what I do is plugged in. And my batteries are fine, still last ages and ages. Years on one, months on another.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

But wouldn't you think that's important to have an accurate reading of your battery? It's ridiculous to play a guessing game on your battery capacity.

To the OP, I hope you've read Apple's support docs on how to calibrate the battery. It's not just about running it down and charging it back up, that won't work. You have to run it down until it shuts off and goes into deep sleep. Then you have to allow to sleep for 5 our more hours and then plug the charger back in.

11. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Hey, this is kinda on the same subject, and I didn’t think it deserved its own thread.

Coconut battery is showing that my current maximum capacity is more than the stock capacity.
    [​IMG]

The actual capacity isn’t wrong as system profiler says the same thing.

12. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

yep, i did all that! everything seems to be exactly the same, but i strangely feel better knowing i did it. i didn't really expect much of a change considering the computer is only two months old! thanks for your input everyone!

maybe YOU should be recalibrating :p. to be fair, coconut battery also says my 2010 macbook is 103 months old.

13. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Im so glad that I don't have to calibrate my iMac!

plus , im a fellow counter-strike player.

14. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Did they fix the mouse acceleration issues yet? Until then I have to play PC.

15. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I had that same issue on my mid-2009 MBP for the first 9-10 months. Nothing to worry about at all, your notebook is fine.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...when I charge my whitebook in the USA and calibrate it, the battery very closely matches the stock amounts...

When I charge my whitebook in Japan where I'm stationed my capacity is higher than original so its probably due to the 50 Hz cycle power here in Japan giving it a more "complete" charge...

Are you in the USA or another country?

17. Sankersizzle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

nice! did you see they recently released DoD:s? it's great. but it spins my fans up to 4000 and temps to 80c, which makes me feel like i'm actually using my comptuer fr a change!

not really. they tried, but it's not perfect. it's very playable though. my M$/Razer Habu mouse sends two clicks instead of one every now and then, which not only closes important safari tabs, but makes my AK fire like crazy.

18. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

United States.

19. Pax macrumors 6502a

Sure, if it's giving funny readings, like telling you you've got half an hour runtime on a full battery. That's when calibration might help.

But eg my 2009 13" MBP is just off the charger, it's at near full brightness and I've got Mail, Safari open. It says 5:00 hours remaining which is pretty much what it always says. So it doesn't need calibration. My old MB is four years old now, it's never been calibrated because it always says about the right hours remaining.

Istat tells me my MBP battery has 94% health, which is the MBP's estimate of how "big" the battery is. That's the key number. If that starts wandering wildly, say 20%, it needs calibration.

But the point I was trying to make to the OP is that that health naturally wanders about a bit, say by 10% because
    -the capacity of your battery does change with temperature etc, and
    -the Mac's estimate isn't that accurate
    I am damn sure that if I calibrated my MBP battery I'd get a different health, say 97%. But which is the right answer - 94%? 97%? Somewhere in between? It depends on the battery's circumstances at the time, particularly (I guess) its temperature and what else the Mac was doing while it was charging up.

If your health estimate is within say 90-110% IMHO there's no point calibrating. Because the on screen time display is only a guide, it's not super accurate (ie I can be damn sure my MBP won't last exactly 5:00 hours).

The health number wanders about from charge to charge so calibration will give you a different answer each time, but not necessarily more accurate. It won't make the on screen display much more accurate. Calibration will just put a needless load cycle on your battery.

Of course it's up to you. But calibration won't make your battery store any more or less juice, it just helps your Mac better estimate how much juice is in it. And usually your Mac's estimate is pretty good without calibration. By all means calibrate, but it seems like a right old hassle to me for no significant benefit.

20. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I'm not sure, but the game runs fine on my iMac (9400M). I use steam for mac , and I even use the magic mouse and I have no problems giving headshots lol.