Do I have to cancel my pre-order with AT&T to pick one up Friday at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drober30, Sep 12, 2014.

1. drober30 macrumors 6502a

Of course I will call AT&T but I won't feel confident with what every they tell me.

Has anybody run into problems trying to pick up a phone at the Apple Store while they had a preorder pending with AT&T?

My ship date is 35-42 days.

2. fotofan macrumors regular

Always a problem

In the past AT&T has told people they have to wait till it shows up and then they can cancel. But of course that fouls up the availability for the 2 year contract option. They are vested in keeping the sale to themselves. so they pull this crap every year. I was told 10-14 days last night on the AT&T site after trying all avenues for 45 minutes. Only to get the new 10/14-10/22 estimate email in the morning. Huh. I should have waited till the Apple Store sorted itself out. People ordered on their shortly after my AT&T order time and have 9/19 estimates. What a mess every time we need a new phone and are desperately hanging on with an old iphone that no longer holds the charge more than 1/3 of the day. Ugh. I hate AT&T and now I hate the Apple Store for fouling me up by being overloaded for he first 45 minutes. Should have kept at it with Apple Store till I got through. I know better since AT&T always screws me. I'll never learn. I guess my need for sleep prevailed over my logical side last night and now I'll be waiting a month or more for a phone after getting up in the middle of the night to order it. Nice.

3. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I would suggest canceling and preordering at the Apple online store. They still have a ton of models saying in stock and delivering on the 19th. What do you have to lose?

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Assuming he doesn't want the Plus.

5. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Yes, true.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

How long does it take for eligibility to reset?

7. musika macrumors 65816

musika

In my experience it has been pretty much instant.

8. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

For the 5,I cancelled my AT&T order 1 day after I ordered it and got it on Release day at Radio Shack. 2 weeks later,the phone arrives.I call AT&T and the rep says keep,they will never know! What an idiot.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Anyone actually able to cancel? I tried hitting the cancel button in premier, and it said it would send me an email link to confirm the cancellation.. but I'm not getting any email

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can take over 24 hours in some cases.

11. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I called AT&T and was first told I could not cancel because I already accepted the terms of the agreement. She said I would have to wait till the phone came and refuse it or return it. My ship date is 10/31 - 11/15.

Needless to say, I was not going to accept that as an answer so in the end my orders have been canceled and they said 24 hours for my eligibility to reset.

I will see, I did take her name and employee ID # for reference... like that matters!

Hope it cancels and I can order from Apple or go to their store.

Oh... I do want the + in 64 but would take 128 if I had too.

*** My eligibility status has been reset instantly! Before I check it and it said not eligible after receiving my order email and now it says I'm good so looks like they did it!

12. Yoohoo macrumors newbie

i want to cancel my AT&T order in the worst way...i ordered at 4 am and am estimated till November

i have a reservation with apple for 64 gb 6+ but its giving me a price of 649 due to not having an upgrade I'm assuming from ATT.com taking it.

Any suggestions?

----------

where did you call? do you have a number? i called twice with one man saying i have to call their shopping support number or something

13. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

So they were able to find your web order in the system? They still can't in my case and online pressing cancel does nothing.

14. drober30 thread starter macrumors 6502a

----------

Yes I received confirmation emails too. Even could look up my order after I received the emails.

15. cecil9 macrumors newbie

You cannot cancel a pre order with AT&T once it's been made.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

So another question. My current contract with ATT expires on 10-01-2014 but when I go to preorder anywhere the price for the Plus With 64 comes up with 649 for the price. Seriously 10-01-2014 is 2 weeks away and I know the 6 plus won't even be available until after then. Is there no consideration for the backlog or do I just forgot a preorder until 10-01-2014?

17. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I ordered my iPhone 6+ 128GB Silver right when the pre-orders went live and my delivery date in 10/2-10/13. I'm also considering going to an Apple Store next Friday to buy it then. I used the Next program so my credit card has only been charged the tax. When I check my upgrade eligibility on-line it still shows that I'm able to purchase a device on the Next program or with subsided pricing. Is that unusual? There are lots of posts were people talk about needing to get their upgrade status reset. I'm hope to keep my pre-order intact and not cancel it unless I'm successful on launch day.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's a number of threads here stating that they successfully cancelled their orders.

Personally OP, there's no guarantee that you'll get a phone if you wait in line, where as you will get one since you pre-ordered, maybe just on on friday.

19. swamyg1 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. This is where The Next plan makes complete sense and saved us a ton of dough. I'm camping out not just for the phone, but for the phone on this plan since it can't be picked up in store with the Next option.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I just canceled my pre-order (was in the same boat as the OP). Took them like 12 hours to date me on the cancellation.

In theory, until it ships, it wouldn't matter. Despite the fact that I had an order in, I still showed as upgrade eligible.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I think I'm just going to switch carriers. I really wasn't interested in doing so but ATT is crazy. I just had a long chat with them and they won't budge on my 2 week contract expiration. I.e. I just want to pre-order. Knowing that the phone won't be available for at least 2 weeks or more and thus the contract at that time would be expired, you would think they would let me pre-order at the discounted price as the contract will be expired at the time of transfer. I can pre-order through Verizon today at the full discounted price and my long term carrier, ATT won't do anything to keep me as a customer. I've upgraded many times before with ATT and as long as I was within a month of the end, they always gave the full discount.

I really don't want to go with Next - don't want to pay the additional monthly fee. How much more is it monthly?

At this point my options are totally open as I haven't done any pre-ordering.

22. swamyg1, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

swamyg1 macrumors regular

Next is really not as bad as you think.

A few of the perks: you save an extra $25 per line, no activation fee, no upfront costs, you're not in contract, you own the phone, and no tax on the Next costs.

It ends up being a better deal overall. I didn't think it was at first, until today when I researched it more and did the math.

23. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

but how much more per monrh?

24. swamyg1 macrumors regular

Check this out http://attcalc.com/next/

Has all the info you need to make a decision. I manually did the math too, just to double check.

25. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I just was able to get my eligibility changed to current with a phone call to ATT. Can't believe that the two chat people couldn't help me. The phone rep just typed in and make me eligible now. I was minutes away from switching to Verizon.

So I tried to order through Apple and i'm getting the message that I can only have the iPhone shipped to me and there is no availability for store pick up.

That's just so hard for me as they also will only ship to my home and will require a signature. I can't just take a day off from work to hang around all day for mail or UPS delivery. So now I'm bummed and really at odds on my best options - whether to just keep checking at my local Best Buy and hope I get lucky or do the Preorder through Apple and hope I can figure out how to sign for it at home - maybe my neighbor.