Do I have to charge before I first use it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmee, Dec 22, 2011.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I just got it tonight and it came with 70% charge so I just started using it without plugging it in. Should I have plugged it in and charged it to 100% first? Is it bad that I didn't?

It's at 56% right now, should I plug it in now?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3. Ant.honey macrumors regular

This is very true. Plug it in or evacuate the block. This could be very dangerous.

4. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

No, you don't have to charge it before first use. I would recommend plugging it in, as soon as you finish OS X 10.7 Setup, and you're at the desktop.

5. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I never plugged it in when I got it I just used it right from 70%, but is that going to cause my battery to suck now :(

6. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

No, it won't degrade battery quality. When you finish using the MacBook Pro tonight, or when the battery gets around 30 percent, then plug it in.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to plug it in at any certain percentage. Run on battery when you need to and plug it in when you can. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as the battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Thanks guys, -breathes out- I don't feel so much like an idiot for doing what I did anymore now :D

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You didn't do anything to worry about. Read the FAQ and you'll be fine.

10. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

That's what I meant. Don't completely drain the battery. You don't need to do that until a month goes by.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can drain the battery any time you need to, or not at all. You should cycle the battery at least once per month, but that doesn't have to be done all at once. Draining to 25% and recharging 4 times, or draining to 50% and recharging twice does the same thing.

12. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

I do plan on being stationary most of the time I'm using this MacBook (well, either at work or at home but I always intend on keeping it plugged in). Above it's mentioned that keeping it plugged in 24/7 seems to be a bad thing because it will harm the battery over a long period of time.

This might sound silly, but does that mean I should intentionally use my Macbook on only battery X amount of times a week per say?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, exactly. You can simply unplug and run on battery a few hours, a few times a week. Then plug back in.

14. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It's a notebook computer, it's meant to be used on battery, that's the point of having a portable computer. You aren't hurting your battery by using it, if anything you're keeping it healthy.

It's recommended once a month that you calibrate your battery. This is done by allowing the MacBook to discharge completely, leave sit for ~5 hours, and then charging back up.

I've calibrated mine monthly since I got it two years ago and still have 100% battery capacity.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Newer unibody Mac notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration.

16. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Really? I never knew that...I was under the impression it was always good to calibrate the battery. I wonder if mine even needs calibrated.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

18. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams