Do I have to go back to Best Buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mediaseth, May 8, 2012.

1. mediaseth, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

mediaseth macrumors newbie

For some reason, my phone thinks my name is .. well.. it has the right last name but the wrong first name. All the apps think I'm my cousin, though it could be a coincidence that it's also my cousin's name, as he's never touched the phone and lives out of state.

I can't find where to change it.

In fact, I'm so used to blackberries from years and years of having them that I'm a little bit.. perplexed by the iPhone, embarrassingly, since I'm usually good with tech.

Anyway, how do I tell my phone who I really am? Do I have to go back to Best Buy and tell them that they screwed up?

I did a search and found I'm not the only one with the problem, yet no one has posted how to fix it :( Here is a quote from another frustrated user:

"On my: settings/mail,calendar,contacts/my info, it states "None" (in gray). When I click this option, it brings up my contacts folder - I'm guessing to choose a contact to display under "my info". I don't have myself as a contact in my own contact book . . . . and don't see a reason why I would need to."

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you go into Settings > Store, it should show you the account on your phone that's signed into the iTunes/App stores.

If you're somehow signed in with his account, you can logout and then log back in with your account.

3. RodThePlod, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

On your iPhone, tap Settings, General, About, Name.

You can change your name here.

EDIT: Sorry, I mis-read your post, I see you're talking about a different name setting!

Cheers!

RTP.

4. mediaseth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. It's impossible I could be signed in under his account. I added myself as a contact and was only able to change it once I appeared in the contact list. That's a backwards way of doing things, as far as I'm concerned, but at least it is a way...

Now if only someone could help me in my other thread. I want a mode on my phone where calls and texts are audible, but emails, facebook notifications, twitter notifications, are vibrate only. I also want email to push more frequently than the phone normally allows? Is there an app for that?

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You can turn those particular sounds off under Settings. Email can be set to fetch as often as every 15 minutes, but with Push mail on, it will receive it once the mail server has.

6. mediaseth thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah.. I push was selected, but then when I went into advanced settings, it was only allowing push for the cloud. I could only chose fetch/manual for my three pop email accounts. They pushed fine with my blackberry.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you set them up as exchange emails instead of pop emails then they'll be able to push.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, POP pushed fine for your BlackBerry because RIM understood how horrible the POP protocol was, and designed a "man in the middle" service (BIS) that sat between your BlackBerry and the POP server, compensating for all of the deficiencies of the POP protocol (like not being able to push email, or keep email in sync between multiple devices, etc).

AFAIK, RIM is the only company that does that.

For the rest of the world (iPhone/Android/WebOS/Windows/Mac/Linux), if your email provider only supports the POP protocol, then you're not getting push email.

It might be worth seeing if your email provider supports Exchange ActiveSync. That's the protocol that most smartphones use for push email. If not, IMAP would be the second best protocol, as (even if it doesn't support push) it at least allows emails to be kept in sync between various devices. POP is the devil.