Do I have to go to an AT&T store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by c23roo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

I have heard many, many rumors that I can only get an iPhone at an AT&T store because I currently get some sort of company discount on my current cell phone.

I have spent far too much time on lines, and in and out of product-barren AT&T stores the past week trying to find me an iPhone, to no avail. I had been told by an employee at an Apple store that I had to go to AT&T because of the discount thing, but I'm still looking for confirmation that it's true.

Seems like our AT&T stores are getting the shaft - I have not been in a store that has had a shipment since launch day, and we all are aware how little inventory they received in the first place. Also, earlier this week when I tried to do the direct fulfillment thing they said they weren't even doing that any longer. More like direct unfulfillment.

I guess I'm posting to see if anyone can tell me if I'm stuck waiting for an AT&T store to get a shipment. Also, what would my options be if I go to an Apple store and try to buy one? I am a current AT&T customer, who is upgrade-eligible...

Thanks for helping with my foolish questions...

2. CyberGreg macrumors regular

I was/am in the exact same situation and here's what I did/am going to do:

I have my new White iPhones on order at my local AT&T store which as you mentioned, god knows when they'll get their next shipment. So... I'm headed to an Apple store first thing tomorrow morning. However, I just called AT&T and asked them to REMOVE my corporate discount which took about 2 minutes and the change was immediate. I should have NO problems buying my new phones tomorrow.

Hope it helped. Once I have my new phones from the Apple store I will cancel my order with AT&T.

Oh and when I mentioned to the AT&T rep about removing the corporate discount, she said "Oh you're buying an iPhone" I laughed and said "yup"
    :cool:

3. starcrossed macrumors regular

I had a discount on my account, and Friday was turned away by AT&T after waiting over an hour because they ran out of phones, and was turned away from the Apple Store after 3 hours because they could not handle my account. I called AT&T on Saturday and one rep told me he couldn't do nothing. I called again on Monday and a rep said it was no problem to remove the discount and label on my account. Next morning I went to the Apple Store and bought my phone with no issues. I'm glad it work cause I was not about to waiting any longer for AT&T to see when they get their stock. If you want it bad enough just tell AT&T.

4. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

I should still be able for the $299 price point for the 16GB, right? I mean, I'm still upgrade-eligible, so that shouldn't be a problem, right? I think it's that the Apple store can't seem to get past the 'company discount' tags that are on the account. I'm about to call and cancel the discount right now.

Thanks for your advice!

5. CyberGreg macrumors regular

YES, the rep I spoke with said exactly that, I was still eligible for the upgrade.

6. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

Wish me luck!

The light is green at my local Apple store, so I'm heading out first thing in the morning!

7. CyberGreg macrumors regular

Good luck, both of my stores are RED :mad:

But get this, ha! I checked the AT&T status and both of my iPhones have shipped so I should have mine today! figures... :cool:

8. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

It WORKED!

Hey thanks for the advice - I have had my new iPhone in hand for a few hours now - wheeeee!

Thanks for the help -

c

9. CyberGreg macrumors regular

Cool! Me too!!!
    :cool: