do i have to have the data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nownot, Jul 8, 2008.

1. nownot macrumors regular

so heres the situation, getting 2 iphones on family plan. i want data my g/f doesnt and swears she wont use it, so do we have to pay for it? at&t tells me different stories depending on who i talk to, over the phone no you dont have to have it, in-store yesterday they told me yes. thanks for a definitive answer.

2. yode macrumors 6502

Yes you need one. The only way to get around this is if you unlock the iphone and use it on a normal non iphone account.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

short answer: yes, you need data

long answer: you can nix data, but you need to pay the ETF or buy the $600 unsubsidized phone.

suggestion: buy her a 1st gen iphone while you still can.

5. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

You're going to have to add it on when activating in the store. No way to get around that. You may be able to cancel it after activating service. They may(probably) won't make it easy so you can call in and say the iPhone isn't working out; and tell them you want to use a different phone. Provide them the imei # of a spare phone and hopefully your sim will still work in the iPhone for voice. I know people who did this with the original iPhone.

6. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

If you don't get the iphone...then you don't need the iphone.

but if you get the iphone...most all of it's features would be pointless without the data plan.

if you're considering not getting the data plan...then get something that doesn't support a data plan.

:p

7. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

I would have to agree but I just wanted to satisfy the OP question. :D

Sure, you can do data with wi-fi but suppose you want to check your email at the mall, or look up something to comparison shop, or check if it's going to rain while out...

8. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

reason is her work and home have wifi. she cant think of a time that she'll use 3g so ....... thinking about after activation calling and seeing if they can nix it.