Do I have to install iOS 13 to activate Series 5?

I Need a Drink

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
I have a iPhone XR, still on iOS 12.4.1. I picked up a Series 5 this morning from Verizon, but I haven't opened it and paired it with my phone yet. I really don't want to install iOS 13 and would rather wait until Tuesday for 13.1 because of all the bugs that I have been reading. I obviously haven't tried to pair the watch yet, as I've said, I haven't even opened the box yet, but I was just curious if I have to be on 13 for the Series 5 to pair?

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
I had to upgrade my iPhone in order to pair my series 5 watch. I tried just using the watch with my phone as is but got an error that my phone needed to upgraded first.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
WatchOS6 requires iOS13

BTW what bugs? I’m sure there are some but I’ve not noticed any.

greenbre

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Maryland
I have a iPhone XR, still on iOS 12.4.1. I picked up a Series 5 this morning from Verizon, but I haven't opened it and paired it with my phone yet. I really don't want to install iOS 13 and would rather wait until Tuesday for 13.1 because of all the bugs that I have been reading. I obviously haven't tried to pair the watch yet, as I've said, I haven't even opened the box yet, but I was just curious if I have to be on 13 for the Series 5 to pair?
I plan to purchase an AW5 this week. But I am currently using an iPhone 5S, which uses 124.1. Stop laughing 😌 Will the watch even work? Is this a pointless idea?

Yes, I do plan to purchase a new phone soon, probably an iPhone 8. I was hoping to hold out for the new SE model because I really want a very small phone that fits in my pocket. But that is only a rumour I heard about a new SE model.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I plan to purchase an AW5 this week. But I am currently using an iPhone 5S, which uses 124.1. Stop laughing 😌 Will the watch even work? Is this a pointless idea?

Yes, I do plan to purchase a new phone soon, probably an iPhone 8. I was hoping to hold out for the new SE model because I really want a very small phone that fits in my pocket. But that is only a rumour I heard about a new SE model.
Unless you can load IOS13 on your phone don’t buy a Series5.

edit: I’ve not followed the phone stuff but I’d think it’d be very out of character for Apple to surprise-announce another phone anytime soon. Unless they’ve announced something coming later, I’d bank on what we have now being what we have for the next year.

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I plan to purchase an AW5 this week. But I am currently using an iPhone 5S, which uses 124.1. Stop laughing Will the watch even work? Is this a pointless idea?

You will not be able to pair the watch with a 5s.