do I have to JB to access hidden files in iOS device?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by patent10021, Feb 7, 2014.

1. patent10021, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I have this book I bought that is in an app used for offline reading. I don't want to use the app for offline reading. I want to read the book/content separately on my iDevice or Mac etc. I am not sure what format it would be in inside the app but there is obviously an entire book in the app.

If I use an iOS file system utility would I be able to extract it out?

I used an iOS file browser and go to the images used inside the book BUT can't seem to find the actual pages of the book.

I think I will need to jailbreak to access some hidden files?

2. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I used a couple of consumer level utilities like iFunBox and iExplorer but I am convinced there are some files there that I am not able to see.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That is what jailbreaking is about - access to root files on devices

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

What hidden files are you looking for (and why)?

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

yes I know. I've JB many times. But never to access hidden files. What utility do you recommend? Is a JB available for the latest OS?

A book that is hidden in an app used for offline iOS viewing. I want to be able to use it in my Mac etc so I need to extract it.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't JB so someone who does might correct me, but if it's in the app's data files it should be visible. It sounds like you've already tried and can't find it. Are you sure it's not baked into the app itself? You could try an iTunes backup and poke around those files (or a program like iBackupBot).

7. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I JBed and am using iFile with hidden files turned on and I don't see it so yes maybe it's as you say baked in. BUT anything that exists on a device should be findable via iFile no?

Ok so you're saying to use another utility to examine an iTunes backup. A complete backup or do you think I could just transfer purchases (the one app) and examine?

But again EVERYTHING should already be viewable no?

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

No