Do I have to log-in EVERY time to public wi-fi?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aCondor, Sep 22, 2011.

1. aCondor macrumors 6502

Quick question:

I am currently at a university and like all students I bring my laptop with me everywhere. Now, the only thing that can get annoying is signing in to the school's public wi-fi system. I must load a page, enter my student ID and password, and wait a few minutes to get logged in to the internet.

My question is... is there a way to streamline this process? I would love to be able to sign in automatically each time my Mac is turned on.

2. samh macrumors 6502

This is a requirement of the wi-fi host (in this case, the University) and not a limitation of your Mac.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

If the login page is not flash-based, you could use 1password to store your passwords in so when you have to login, you just click the 1password icon, enter the 1password password, and the program will do the rest. The one thing is if you are on Lion, I assume that the little login window appears. You'd have to close that and use your browser.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Is there any work around to the same problem when using an iphone? When my iphone picks up optimum wifi, it logs in for me just fine. But at work, when my iphone picks up the free wifi, it asks me for the login and password every single time. This is annoying since once I put the phone down for just a few minutes, it logs out and I have to log in again just to check email or do anything else....

5. Sc00tr macrumors regular

Nope. none that I know of.