Do I have to put the Bootcamp Software on a USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I tried to ask a few bootcamp questions in the Windows section but it's a ghost town over there so I'm going to try my luck here.

Basically, I have a 2010 13" MBP. I installed Windows using Bootcamp 5.1 and didn't download/install the Windows Support Software to a USB, assuming that using my OSX install CD would do the trick. Turns out, because that CD is from 2010, dosen't upgrade to the newest version (which seems odd that even after installing the apple software it cant search for the newest update, it only goes to 3.2).

I went to the apple site and see the newest Bootcamp Sotware, but it says it's a Zip file and that I need to put it on a USB drive to install it. Is this just if I want to download it BEFORE I have windows installed? Can't I just download the software in windows and open it to install? Thanks!

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

You can ignore the USB flash drive part. Just download the drivers on Windows or transfer it to your Boot Camp partition.

P.S. I don't think your MBP is supported by the newest Boot Camp drivers so you might need to go back a few versions to get one that's compatible with your MBP.

3. ozreth, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Awesome, thank you! So, to be sure, once I download these drivers (and it looks like 4.0.4033 March 2013 is the newest that my computer supports) I will have all the latest drivers for windows in boot camp? Including graphics drivers? Or do I still need to download those from the nvidia site?

Also, how does this differ from the Apple Software Update? Or is it the same thing?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Apple doesn't keep up with graphics drivers. You might as well download those from nVidia.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Wellll see here is where the root of this problem really lies. I initially just did that and once the drivers were installed my task bar and menu bars became choppy and blurry and I couldn't fix it. I reinstalled Windows, did it again and same outcome as soon as I installed the latest Nvidia driver for my gpu :(