Do I have to reinstall Bootcamp after a reformat?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mundy, May 1, 2007.

1. Mundy macrumors regular

I was going to wait until Leopard to reformat my hard drive, but seeing as it has been delayed, I think I'm going to go ahead and do it.

What I'm wondering is whether reformatting my system drive and reinstalling OS X will affect my Bootcamp partition (which is on physically separate hard drive)? I'd like to leave my Windows installation alone if possible.

Thanks.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not sure, but I have a question for you: why are you formatting your drive? In 6 years of being a Mac users, I have yet to find a reason to format a drive.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It shouldn't affect it at all unless you accidentally wipe the boot camp partition, so be just be careful when wiping a partition and all will be well.

4. Mundy thread starter macrumors regular

And in my 18 years as a Mac user, I've found many reasons. ;)

If you really must know, the reason in this instance is that with the arrival of Photoshop CS3 today, all my applications are finally Intel-native. There are, however, a ton of "old" Power PC applications and utilities taking up space on my drive. Rather than manually deleting them and hunting down their support files in my System Folder, I'd rather just start fresh.

5. Mundy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. :D

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Rookie! :D

7. Mundy thread starter macrumors regular

Indeed! No sooner do I talk about my first Mac, a IIci with 4 MB of RAM, then someone comes along to reminisce about their Macintosh 512k.

By some standards, I am a rookie. :D

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've been an "every other generation" Apple user I guess. I missed an Apple I by that much, so it was the ][, then 512 (aka Fat Mac), and so on...

Still yet to make the plunge into Intel (the G5's still a horse), and at this rate, it'll be a Santa Rosa/Leopard/iLife 0-whatever preinstalled platform. ;)

Gates asked who'd ever need more than 640K of RAM. He's right, I did just fine with 4.