Do I have to replace my optibay before going to Genius Bar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

SO when I tried to open my MBP today, it stuck at a black screen so I held down the power button to shut it down. Now the computer doesn't even respond to the power butotn (though the battery says it still has juice).

I don't really know what else I can do besides taking it to the genius bar, but I replaced my optical drive with an optibay, would I be able to take it to the genius bar without replacing the optibay with the original drive?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may or may not help:

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup
    Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on
    You can try without replacing it. It may not matter to them, unless they determine that the optibay install affected the power on problem.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you're hoping for a warranty repair I'd put the ODD back in first.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

As with pretty much everything, it depends on the genius. I've had them not even touch my MBP when I had third party RAM in it, but others seem to have had no problems. Just to be safe I'd pop it back in there.

5. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I tried the troubleshooting page to no avail.

My 1 year warranty is actually up a couple of months ago. Is there any chance that the Geniuses would be able to fix it free? I read somewhere it might be my logic board crashing which costs a lot to replace :(

6. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Its pretty much down to who you see. I brought a 8 year old Powerbook in to the Apple Store earlier this year, and ended up walking out with a Basline MBP free of charge. As long as your polite and pleasant, they should be able to help you :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can diagnose it for free. If it's something simple, they may be able to fix it or show you how. If it involves repair, such as replacing the logic board, it will very likely cost you.

8. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, sounds like I should switch the optibay out just to be safe.

Wish me luck, I really hope it's a small fix :\ unfortunate if it were something serious barely after a year :(

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'd agree. I just got my Mini back from a store from a logic board replacement. I made it quite clear that it had had three sets of memory in it and still had kernel panic issues. They tried to blame aftermarket memory. Put factory back in at the bar and demonstrated the issue. Take the potential that it was the optibay swap off the table because aftermarket clearly confuses them.

10. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I would take it out. We have a non-unibody 17" that my husband just loves. It has an opti-bay. The logic board failed and we took it in to the apple retail store and since the extended applecare expired 3 months ago, they suggested a depot repair for $310. When the depot got it, they refused to repair it because it had customer modifications. I am irritated that we told the store when we brought it in and they said it should be okay that way, wrong!! I am just going to buy a logic board and install it myself.

11. danetello macrumors 6502

Yes definitely remove the optibay, I think modifying anything other than the hard drive or RAM will void the warranty