Do i have to replace this single cap-iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SimonUK5, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I've got a First gen 20'' G5 imac sat infront of me, Acting weird, lines and flickering on the screen when powered up, sometimes it will boot CD's sometimes it wont etc etc.

There is a SINGLE blown cap, and on the same rail there is space for another, do i need to replace the blown cap once i take it out or is it good to run without it? I think it should be ok to run without it, but i want to check with other people first :)

[​IMG]

I marked the blown cap in red :)

Simon

2. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

That group of 6 caps is known for bulging caps. I would replace all 6 of those while you are in there. You can get the kits cheap online that include all the caps needed.

3. kbfr08, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Yep, replace all of them just to be safe. A cap can go bad without leaking or bulging.

Trust me, there's nothing worse than disassembling the whole computer, replacing one cap, reassembling it, and then finding out that the rest are bad.

4. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

+1

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

+1

6. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i took that single one out and it was fine for a few hours and its gone again now. Takes 15min to take the logic board out so i'll replace them all at the weekend or something.